1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Where are the extracted files?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by digitized, Sep 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. digitized

digitized Thread Starter

I used 7zip to open up a .gz zipped/archived file. It seems like 7zip extracts and downloads the files to open it? Is that correct? If so, where are the files located? Or is it just stored somewhere temporarily and then deleted after?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Create a new folder in your computer to download and save the compressed file.
    After that's done, use 7-Zip to extract the contents of the compressed file inside that same new folder.
    After that's done, do what you need to do with its contents.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. digitized

digitized Thread Starter

Yes, thanks, I do know how to do that. My questions was specifically in a case where I didn't do that.

I open the zip to look at it, without extracting the files. But in order to view the files I'm assuming that 7zip has to extract it somewhere, no?

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Yes.....it usually extracts itself into said same folder unless otherwise specified by user.

BTW....windows 8 - 10 does this natively.

5. digitized

digitized Thread Starter

No, but that's just the thing, I don't see anything there! Only when I click "Extract", then I see the files. But if I click open, the file manager displays the same extracting animation as when you click "extract" and the files and folders show up in the program itself and I'm able to view them in the program, but the files itself do not show up in said folder.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In 7-Zip click on Tools > Options > Folders where you can change the 'Working folder' or leave it at the default 'System Temp folder' setting.

digitized likes this.
  7. digitized

digitized Thread Starter

@managed Thanks!

P.S. Do you know if 7-zip deletes the files from the temp folder, or does it leave the files there?

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I was curious about this so I tried opening a .gz file inside 7-Zip then opening an Icon file which was inside the .gz file.

The Icon file opened in Windows 7's Image Viewer as it should.
    A search found the actual Icon file here :- C:\Users\allan\AppData\Local\Temp\7zO0EFB9C8E\diskcheck.ico

When I closed 7-Zip the Icon file and that (randomly named) folder it was in were deleted. So I think we can assume 7-Zip will delete any temporary files it makes.

digitized likes this.
  9. digitized

digitized Thread Starter

Ok cool, thanks!

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice