1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where are the "network tasks" ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dieterschmied, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dieterschmied

dieterschmied Thread Starter

I must be missing something. I wanted information on setting up a network connection between the computer at my house so I used a network wizard but when I tried to connect, I got the message that I needed permission and I should contact my network administrator (which has to be me) . So I went to help, which gave me the following instructions:

"Open Network Connections.
    Click Incoming Connections, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
    On the General tab, do one or more of the following:
    Under Incoming connections, in Devices, click the check boxes next to the devices through which incoming connections can connect. "....

I went to "Network Connections" , but where in the devil is "Network Tasks" ? Do you think I have a bogus XP that was designed by Apple? I would think Microsoft would know what is on their software, but maybe not. Maybe I have a version Microsoft doesn't know about.

Can someone translate for me?

Dieter Schmied

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Change settings of this connection is the same as right clicking the connection and clicking Properties.

Sounds like you've set the system to use Windows Classic folders and not display the Common Tasks pane.

To re-enable the COmmon Tasks pane:

In Network Connections, click on Tools | Folder Options
    On the General tab, select Show common tasks in folders
    Click OK

Network Tasks should be the first item in the Common Tasks pane.

4. dieterschmied

dieterschmied Thread Starter

Thank you!

Now can you tell me how to get notice of answers immediately sent to an email address? I sometimes have trouble getting back to where I started.
    [email protected]

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome!

You should edit your post and remove your email address, or the robots will add it to numerous spam lists.

To change the default email notifications, click on My Account at the top of any page
    On the left, under Settings & Options, click Edit Options.
    Scroll down to Default Thread Subscription Mode and choose how you want to be notified. Instant Email Notification sends an email when someone replies to the thread. You only get one usually, until you come back to the thread, so there may be several replies, but only one email notice.

The first item under Your Control Panel on the My Account page is Your Profile. Click that, then click Statistics, and you can find all threads you've started, or all posts. or at least the most recent 200 or so.

You can also subscribe/unsubscribe for any thread you are viewing by using the Thread Tools at the top of the thread.

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post) :)

[​IMG]

Jerry

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!