1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where are the Outlook Express files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AmazingPlaid, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AmazingPlaid

AmazingPlaid Thread Starter

Hi. In what directory would I find all of my Microsoft Outlook files? I am looking for my mail files on an old computer (hard drive only, no operating system) and I need to bring them over to a new one. I need to find the directory that they were saved in on my old computer (I was running Windows 2000 Server Edition) and I need to know where to move them on my new computer (Windows XP).
    Thanks in advance,
    AP

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

Outlook Express or Outlook?

3. AmazingPlaid

sorry... Outlook Express

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

I believe (don't quote me) you're after files with a dbx extension.

Mine are under C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{xxx}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The snag is "xxx" is actually a long string of letters/numbers ... but this may give you a start.

5. bomb #21

bomb #21

Of course it may differ in Windows 2000 Server Edition -- I'm on XP.

6. AmazingPlaid

I did a search on my old drive for files with the .dbx extension and came up empty. Any other ideas?

7. AmazingPlaid

I did a search of the hard drive for .dbx entension files and found nothing. There is also no local settings folder for Server Edition.

8. bomb #21

bomb #21

9. Miz

Miz

They are hidden files so in My Computer, go to Tools>Folder Options>View tab, check "Show hidden files and folders," uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected system files."

Then Windows' Search will find them instead of ignoring them.

10. AmazingPlaid

OK. Fabulous! I found the files. I've taken them out of the old folder and put them on the desktop of my new PC. When I try putting them in a similar folder (ie. C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Application Data\Identities\{BEEAE857-F359-4FED-8799-D6391D4B5D93}) ... it doesn't have a Microsoft\Outlook Express folder after it like the old hard drive did. Where should I move these files to?
    Thanks

11. bomb #21

bomb #21

Re: "I am looking for my mail files on an old computer (hard drive only, no operating system)" -- I took this to mean that the old HD was in the old PC, which had no Windows so you were trying to find though DOS. Do you in fact have the old HD plugged into the new PC as a slave?

(I wonder if files that are hidden under Windows still show up under DOS?)

Re: "When I try putting them in a similar folder (ie. blah) ... it doesn't have a Microsoft\Outlook Express folder" ... now for some complete guesswork. Do dbx files exist on the new PC? (i.e. have you used OE on it yet?) Maybe the folders only get created as & when (i.e. there's no inbox.dbx/path to it until you get mail).

Try using OE on new PC and then searching for dbx files (bearing in mind advice from Miz re: folder options).

12. TonyJollans

TonyJollans

*** Disclaimer *** Please note that I am not an expert in this and have gained this 'knowledge' by some trial and error along the way - and it doesn't always seem to work properly. I don't fully understand all this and I get really cross that there seems to be no proper documentation You are told to back up by copying the files but not told how to restore. This can be *really* difficult but if you have the files it will be possible. Before doing anything make sure you have the dbx files backed up because OE might empty them if you are unlucky.

Each OE identity has a long id - and a folder named as that id in the Identities folder (like the one you found your old files in). Make a note of the names of any folders in the Identity folder on your new PC - just so that you'll be able to identify a new one.

Next, create a new identity on OE your new computer - as far as you can, make it the same as the one on your old computer (but it doesn't have to be exactly the same). If memory serves, it does have to be fairly 'properly' set up - with an e-mail address and the rest.

When you have done that, close OE and go back to your Identites folder - you will have a new sub-folder for the identity you have just set up - drill down to the bottom and you will find a folder containing the default set of dbx files. Take a copy of these for safe keeping (not actually critical but saves more messing about if things go wrong).

Delete all the new dbx files.
    Copy into the (now) empty folder all your old dbx files.

Start OE again. If you are lucky you will have all your old folders and mail showing in OE under your new identity.

If it doesn't work, do something in OE - send an e-mail, create anew folder, anything!!

Close OE and go and empty the identity folder of dbx files and copy all your old dbx files as above and try again. Note that the ones you copied first time round may have been changed or deleted - do n ot rely on them any more.

As already said, I am not an expert and don't understand why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - and am posting this from memory. What I do know is that all the information you need is in your files and OE can be persuaded to give it to you. If you get completely stuck, post back and I'll do some testing to see if I can pin down anything else.

13. Miz

Miz

Generally, you have better luck using OE's Import feature.

In OE, go to File>Import>Messages, step through the wizard, tell it you want to import from a store folder and point it at the .dbx files you retrieved.

14. johnnieq

johnnieq

I have done this on several occassions, and it works well for me.

Open Outlook Express 6.

Go to "File\Import\Messages\"

Choose "Microsoft Outlook Express"

Choose "Import mail from an OE6 store directory"

Browse to " X:\Documents and Settings\AmazingPlaid\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{XXXXX-XXXX-XXXX}\Microsoft\Outlook Express" on the old hard drive. Replace "AmazingPlaid" in your search with the actual name used on the old drive, and as 'Bomb 21 said in his/her response; the {XXXXX-XXXX-XXXX} is a non-sensical sting of characters indentifying the user.

Click on "OK" and you should have all your folders & messages in OE6 exactly as they were on the old drive.

You need to set up your "Tools\Accounts\Mail Settings" also.

Good luck...

15. TonyJollans

TonyJollans

Well - I said I was no expert :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice