1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where can i buy a 1GB Memory Module for my PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CheWest, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CheWest

CheWest Thread Starter

Hi Tech Guy,
    Can you email me web URL's to buy a 1 GB Memory Module for a Dell OptiPlex GX270 with a Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 Genuiielntel ~2992 Mhz so I can upgrade my PC & OS ASAP

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The motherboard in the Dell OptiPlex GX270 has 4 slots and supports up to 4 GB of RAM - up to 1 GB in each slot.

It uses 184-pin DDR PC2700(DDR333), 2.5 volt, CL=2.5, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.

You didn't advise how much RAM is currently in your computer and how many of the 4 slots are populated, so we don't know if you need 512 MB modules or 1 GB modules.

You can purchase them from these sites:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell...Series+(Desktop+and+Mini-Tower)-upgrades.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...083 600006060 600006059&IsNodeId=1&name=512MB

http://www.memorystock.com/orderite...x+GX270+SD/SMT&MnfId=&MdlId=36499&Passfrm=lnk

--------------------------------------------------------

You didn't advise which Windows version is running in your computer and which Windows version you want to upgrade to.

You need to make sure the upgraded version has driver support for your computer's devices.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. SM4SH

SM4SH

if this is an xp machine or earlier I would suggest not putting money into it. You may be able it get it up to minimum specs for 7, but it will not run very well.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If you have at least 2Gb memory it should support Windows 7 and it will run at least as well as XP.

5. SM4SH

SM4SH

NO! Just because a system will meet the bare minimum requirements to run windows 7 does not mean it is something that should be attempted. Also the OP states that they he/she has an x86 processor, so they would have to run the 32-bit OS. Not only is this obsolete, it but limits the amount of RAM to about 3.3GB.

To the OP:
    you can put windows 7 on that machine if you want, but you will not be happy with the results, and may not be able to find drivers for old hardware that was not designed for 7. I have done this for others in the past, and they have never been satisfied with the outcome.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

So you are going to tell me that the machine I have been running here under Windows 7 for many years is only good for the scrap heap. That is Rubbish when it actually DOES work better than it did under XP.

7. onsite

onsite

I agree with SM4SH , old memory is expensive, that is a really old machine. I would go to Dell's web site and see if they have windows 7 drivers (video, sound, network etc.) for that machine. I seriously doubt it. That motherboard is also from a time there was some industrial espionage, where someone broke into the computer system of the largest capacitor manufacturer. Unfortunately they only got half the formula for the electrolyte in the capacitor. They started manufacturing counterfeit capacitors that after awhile would puff up, leak or explode. Google puffed up capacitors. You may want to check your motherboard. We had these same machines at work about 8 or 9 years ago and we swapped out a lot of motherboards.

8. SM4SH

SM4SH

you see the OP's specs. Do you honestly believe that he could upgrade that machine to 7 and be happy with it?

I make no money off of suggesting that he upgrade to a new machine. I just don't like to see people waste money. too often I encounter people want to save money so they put a few hundred dollars into an old machine only to find out that they are not happy with their investment, and end up buying a new pc in the end.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Gentlemen. There is not official win7 support for the 865 chipset from intel ie no inf driver on the intel site for win7. While win7 might work fine, it also might not work. When you install an unsupported os, you are in effect a beta tester.

Hardware from one era works best with an os from the same era. The system in question is quite old now and would [most likely] work best with xp.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice