1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

where can I buy HDD silence kits/enclosure..?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

does anyone know where i can get hard-drive noise dampening grommets or enclosures from in UK?

HDD vibrations are being amplified by tower

thanks....

2. BG-0

BG-0

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Does this statement for the Scythe Hard Disk Stabiliser II listed under Specifications apply to the chassis you are using?

*This product cannot be installed in PC cases which have non-standard 5¼" bay screw holes, nor PC cases with screwless (rail-based) mounting mechanisms. Also, the distance between the drive mounting screw holes must be less than 5.7 cm.

4. AustinM

AustinM

5. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

yeah something like that would be great BUT the tower does have the crappy rail system :( ... it says cant be used with that...why? i should be able to attach the rails to the stabalizer and then slide it in... why wont this work?

EDIT: just realized, it would have to be slid in from the front BUT ive checked and I can replace the blank afterwards...also I think I can screw the rails to the bay aswell so it will all be solid...

this case is absolute CROCK.. i will never buy a rail case or NZXT product again...

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Does the number 5 1/4" ring a bell with you?

Do you know the purpose of the Scythe Hard Disk Stabiliser II, or the item linked to in post #4?

7. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

erm... yeah... but these bays are larger so that when you stick the sliders on the 5.25 drive it fits??.... so in theory the the stabaliser should be able to do the same - fix sliders onto stabaliser and slide it in... also, I can screw the sliders to the cage....

these are to reduce noise/vibrations coming from the drive...

why do you ask?

or am I missing something?

8. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

,,,for e.g. these optical drive bays are about 5.75" wide... so when you add the sliders to the 5.25" device it fits snugly and firmly... so I can screw the sliders to the stabilizer ... slide it in... then screw the sliders to the cage... job done!

yes? no?

9. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I can see from the picture , the rail i would use and the tower cage that the device would fit (it has standard screw holes and the slider have all the hole to connect the stabilizer and screw it to cage - theyve been made that way so you can fix them in aswell but not with hard-drive ones just 5.25" bays... im more concerned about how effective it is with rubber dampers jammed tightly between the drive and cage...

and theres NONE in stock

theres a better one for £20 and they are in stock, might have to be that one or similar...
    http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/harddrivesolutions/smartdamper

10. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I used two silicone rubber wristbands to mount my Velociraptor HD in a 5-1/4 inch drive bay. The wristbands are stretched across and are held in place by a wood pencil on each side. The drive is inserted between the bands so it is suspended in the middle of the drive bay. Ok, it looks better that it sounds; and the HD is completely silent.

Note these are not ordinary rubber bands, which age and eventually break. They are the 1/2 inch wide silicone wristbands handed out a community events (one says 'don't do drugs' and I forget what the other one says).

Edit: Added a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      140.6 KB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      142.1 KB
      Views:
  11. win2kpro

win2kpro

I haven't been following all the threads you have started about this build, so maybe I've missed some important information.

The point I was trying to make is the "silencers" that had been suggested were actually "adapters" for installing a 3 1/2" hard drive in a 5 1/4" drive bay.

I don't ever recall seeing a chassis that didn't have internal 3 1/2" drive bays for mounting hard drives, and didn't understand why you would want to mount a hard drive in
    a 5 1/4" drive bay.

I saw that you stated you had vibration noise, but if the chassis has internal 3 1/2" drive bays for hard drives I didn't understand why you just didn't use silicone hard drive grommets and shoulder screws to eliminate the vibration.If the hard drive cage is removable the modification is very easy.

You mentioned "sliders", and there are all different kinds of "sliders" used in various chassis. I've been using the Antec NSK6580 chassis for the last 3 years or so, and have attached two pics showing the removable hard drive cage which holds 5 drives. The "sliders" in this chassis are actually trays where the drive is secured to the bottom of the tray using silicone grommets and shoulder screws. The assembly (drive and tray) then slide into and lock into the drive cage. There is absolutely no noise.

If your particular "sliders" attach without screws you can purchase soft rubber of various thickness's and lengths at most automotive or hardware stores. You can make "shims" for the drive out of the rubber, and instead of using the supplied "sliders" "shim" the drive with rubber strips on each side and use screws to hold it in the drive cage.

If the "adapters" can be used as they are, or modified for use that's fine. I just wanted to point out they were "adapters" for larger drive bays, rather than actual "silencers".

If you would attach pics of the drive bays and what you are actually want to accomplish,
    it would be helpful in providing suggestions that may work for you. A picture is worth a 1,000 words.

Attached Files:

12. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

@ Win2kPro - thanks for advice, ive never heard or seen silicone grommets before but while searching i seen some L shaped brackets with rubber on...thats where i got the term 'grommets' from in my Original Post..

the cage unfortunately is not removable - the 'sliders' are plastic strips that sit on the side of drives so they can slide in and lock into place (i cant take pictures at moment) they just slot into screw holes but can also be screwed in... in the DVD bay the sliders can be screwed to cage but not in the HDD cage...

I notice on your tower the HDD cage is attached just at a few points (less vibes carried through) mine is rivetted to the entire tower with an entire plates attached to tower so it carrys MAX amount of vibrations

my friend who Iam building it for has give me the go ahead for the £20 one... it has gel pads too foot the drive onto a suspension unit so its two-in-one noise reduction and should be quite good, like you said about the other cheaper one I too wasnt sure it would be so good and looked more like something to fit a 3.5 into a 5.25 with added dampers (that wouldnt be soo good) - so it was exactly what you said it was...
    http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/harddrivesolutions/smartdamper
    ive checked all components, screw holes on cage, slider, drive, stabilizer and it will go in no problems...I can replace blank afterwards...

yeah ive started a few threads, its an expensive computer (the biggest Ive built in terms of components and price) and i want it perfect ASAP as he is waiting for it... I will have it for another 4 days or so whilst waiting for the Stabilizer

the problem I have now is CPU temps...
    38-40'c IDLE
    68-70'c FULL-LOAD (8 thread @ 70-90%)

all stock hardware and settings

thanks for your help

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/892570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice