1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where can I buy inexpensive custom built PC with Win2000 installed - NOT XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Friskybits, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Friskybits

Friskybits Thread Starter

I'm having so many computer problems with my new (8 month old) computer (painfully chronicled on this site! lol), I just want to throw it away and buy a new one because I can't seem to find help. I want to get another custom built one where I can choose the innards but I keep finding XP and Vista OS. I want Win2000 installed. Any suggestions for websites I can go to? Thanks. :)

2. Turkish78

Turkish78

You can always try www.ncix.com I've been using them for years. But then again they are located in the Vancouver, Canada area so a tad far from where you are.

3. Friskybits

Ooh thanks, I'll try them. As long as they'll ship to me, I don't care where they are. :) Thanks again!

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

What IS your old computer? Have you tried re-installing the operating system? Why Windows 2000? W2K was a good operating system, but I doubt that it's XP's fault you had all this trouble...

I didn't see the troubles you had...

5. Friskybits

My old computer is a Frankenstein--the kind you pick the stuffings for, they build it and send it to you. And no, I never did have XP at home--I've always had Win2000 and like it the best. I have XP at work and really don't like it. That's why I'm hunting for a place where they'll install W2k for me. I have the Win2000 software but it seems like everytime I put it in lately, I have trouble so I don't want to risk it again. And yes, I've tried installing, reinstalling, getting new hard drives, etc.--too much to go into. As far as my posts, if you click on my name here, in this box, there's a drop down menu and you can see all my latest grief with Frankenstein! lol

6. Friskybits

Turkish78, all I see on that site is XP also :( but I'm going to write to them and see if they would substitute W2k for me. Thanks again for the site. :)

7. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

8. telegramsam

telegramsam

Watch ebay for OEM copies of W2K. Now that Vista is out, you MIGHT be able to score a good deal on W2K PRO.

9. Friskybits

Thanks telegramsam and VAComputers but as I said, I already do have the W2k software including the Service Pack 4 CD I just bought to try to remedy my latest problems. I just can't seem to get it to go in right--so I want to buy a computer with it already installed. Thanks tho. :)

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The chances of you finding a good computer with an old operating system pre-installed are slim. Buy a decent computer and install the OS yourself. If you're having problems doing that, post it here and people will try to help you. Installing Windows 2000 isn't hard. You may, however, have problems finding drivers if you purchase newer hardware. If you want to use an older operating system, you'll have to use older hardware as well.

11. Friskybits

Hmm thanks DoubleHelix, after searching high and low to get away from XP and not being able to, I think you're right. I did buy what a thought was a decent computer (lol) but in any case, it's only 8 months old and I'd rather NOT buy a new one but...I'm getting nowhere really on this site (no offense) or techie chat rooms or anywhere. :( I have a Maxtor (SATA) that was in the computer when I got it. I put in W2k and had no problems til a month ago when I started getting Stop Errors. Lately, it says "inaccessible boot device." Can I use the repair function without wiping out all my information on that drive? It tells me to run CHKDSK/F but how do I do that?

Then I bought a new Seagate (SATA) but that one gets stop errors too and when I run the repair thing (which is nearly every time it boots), it will behave itself except for that there are exclamation points by all the PCI devices. My dial-up modem won't work, I think anyway, because it's a PCI device. I've installed and uninstalled and reinstalled many times but without the PCI problem being fixed, the modem has no hope, I think. Also, it's new trick is that none of the USB ports work although no errors are listed on the Device Manager.

Then I bought a Fantom (external USB) and that one tries to load Windows but stops when it comes to the part about partitions. The manufacturer's booklet says it has FAT32 and that OS's "should" recognize it. Mine does, but it wants me to tell it how to partition the thing and I have no clue how to do that. So I exit Set Up and cry. haha (not really--but nearly!)

That's it in a nutshell. I have an Intel Pentium 4 631 3.00GHz HT EM64T XD 800Mhz FSB 2MB LGA775. The board itself says: E210882 Intel Desktop Board D915GAV/D915PGN It came with one Intel Express Installer software CD but it's mostly crap on there--things like Jukebox, Home Theater, etc. and not essential things... If it's drivers I need, I can't get online with Frankenstein so what I'd have to do is d/l them onto my memory stick on this computer (the ancient one I'm online with right now) and then hopefully, if the USB decides to work on the new computer, transplant the infor into Frankenstein.

Any thoughts? :) Thanks so much.

12. Friskybits

Okay, here's the latest. Whether a W2K repair was gonna wipe my hard drive or not, I did it anyway, as it occurred to me, I had no choice. lol It worked and now my Maxtor (original) drive is working again and seems fine. That means I didn't have to buy the Seagate or the Fantom. haha I'll probably give the Seagate away to a friend but the Fantom....how do I make the partitions so my computer will not spit it out?! Anyone?

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

According to Intel the specs don't match.

The D915GAV and the D915PGN are two entirely different boards with different chipsets.
    Neither board supports the P4 631 processor.

D915GAV supported processors; http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/av_proc.htm

D915PGN supported processors; http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/gn/gn_proc.htm

If you can download the Intel chipset ID utility and let it identify the chipset.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...id=861&dwnldid=7961&agr=y&lang=eng&prdmap=861

Also download the Intel Processor Identification Utility NOT the Processor Frequency ID Utility;

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-015477.htm

If we can figure out exactly which chipset you have and the processor it may be possible to make the machine operate properly.

Also, download the English version of SIW 1.66.

http://www.gtopala.com/download.html

It is an executable that does not have to be installed, you can use it right on the desktop. After you download SIW, launch the program and in the left pane click on motherboard. In the right pane it should tell you the manufacturer and model of the motherboard. Please post the information when you get it.

14. Friskybits

Wow that's...interesting. Those serial numbers or model number or whatever that is, I actually looked at the mobo and got them. I've downloaded the chipset utility and it says this:

Detected Chipset: Intel(R) 915G/P Express Chipset Family
    Memory Controller: 82915G/P
    I/O Controller: 82801FB (ICH6)
    Integrated Graphics: Intel(R) 82915G graphics contoller

The Intel Processor Identification Utility won't let me download it for some reason. When I click "Download Now" it takes me to this page: http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/
    then I click "Two processor identification utilities" - which takes me back the download page and round and round.

The SIW is really cool, I must say! Here's what it says about the motherboard:

Manufacturer Intel Corporation Model D915PGN
    Version AAC64142-601
    Serial Number BQGN60302885
    Chipset Vendor Intel Corporation
    Chipset Model 82915G/GV/GL/P/PL/GL Grantsdale Host Bridge/DRAM Controller
    South Bridge 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge
    SMBus Intel Corporation 82801FB (ICH6) SMBus Controller @C800h
    CPU Intel Pentium 4 HT
    Cpu Socket LGA775 [J2E1]
    Processor Upgrade
    Max CPU Speed 3060 MHz
    System Slots 4 PCI
    OnBoard devices
    Video (Disabled) Intel GMCH AGP Graphics Controller
    Ethernet (Enabled) Intel 82562 Ethernet Device
    Sound (Enabled) Intel ICH6 Audio Device
    (Disabled) Agere 1394 Controller
    Memory Summary
    Location System board or motherboard
    Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
    Memory Slots 4
    Error Correction None
    Use System memory
    Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
    Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

On SIW, I've also copied the CPU information if that helps...

Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / One Core / 2 Logical Processors / 64 bits
    Vendor GenuineIntel
    CPU Full Name Intel Pentium 4 HT
    CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    CPU Code Name Prescott-2M
    Technology 0.09μ
    Platform Name LGA775
    Type Original OEM processor
    FSB Mode QDR
    Platform ID 4
    Type ID 0
    CPU Clock 3000.12
    System Bus Clock 800.03
    System Clock 200.01
    Multiplier 15.00
    Original Clock 3000.00
    Original Bus Clock 800.00
    Original System Clock 200.00
    Original Multiplier 15.00
    Overclock 0.00%
    L2 Cache Speed 3000.12 MHz
    L2 Cache Speed Full
    CPU Family / Model / Stepping F / 4 / A
    Family Extended 00
    HyperThreading 2
    L1 T-Cache 12 KμOps
    L1 D-Cache 16 KB
    L2 Cache 2048 KB
    RDMSR 00000000 00000000 0F12030F 00000000
    MMX Yes
    MMX+ No
    SSE Yes
    SSE2 Yes
    SSE3 Yes
    SSSE3 No
    3DNow! No
    3DNow!+ No
    DualCore No
    HyperThreading Yes
    IA-64 No
    AMD64 No
    Intel 64 (EM64T) Yes
    XD Yes
    VT No
    SpeedStep Yes
    PowerNow! No
    LongHaul No
    LongRun No
    Architecture x86

Now that this Maxtor drive is running fine once again, though, I'm a bit apprehensive about monkeying with anything now, for fear of having it go down again after I just got it back. Is this information enough tho? :) Thank you so much for helping me.

15. Leec65

Leec65

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice