1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where can I find paid support for Knoppix?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Anquestory, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anquestory

Anquestory Thread Starter

I am in the process of patenting a process to restore access to crashed computer hard drives for purposes of recovering data with which I recommend using Knoppix. I am not comfortable that I can provide adequate support, so I will be creating a user's forum on LinkedIn, but want to have a paid supp0rt option for licensees who may be interested in the same. Referrals/recommendations welcome.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You could violate the Knoppix license if you charge for support :-
    Source :- http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html

4. Anquestory

Thank you for the suggestion.

My preferred flavor of Linux is actually Kubuntu, which will be what I will use when I am forced to abandon Windows 7 Ultimate since I find I am unable in subsequent versions of Windows to organize my programs and files in my preferred manner or to eliminate bells and whistles I will never use, so would prefer not be on my computer in the first place. I have not yet switched to Kubuntu mainly because there is no Linux software which will read their formats and in some of those programs I would be looking at 20+ years of files to convert!

For the purposes of my process, virtually any flavor of Linux would be far superior to Microsoft, but I also recognize that Linux is radically enough different from Windows to deter purchase of my process by users who are Windows-centric.

Knoppix is more "user friendly" than any other flavor of Linux with which I am familiar (if there are other flavors as well, or even better, suited to my needs as Knoppix, I would appreciate being so advised) specifically due to the recovery tools built into it that with other flavors would have to be added after the fact and the difficulty anyone lacking familiarity with Linux might have in identifying, downloading and configuring the additional needed software.

I have not yet posted in the Knoppix forum as I suspect the most likely source for paid support within that forum would be Klaus Knopfer himself, whom I know to be German, and I don't want to come off as the archetypical American who expects the rest of the world to be fluent in English.

Though I will readily admit to the possibility that because Knoppix is recovery oriented, there would presumably be a greater concentration of experts participating in its user forum, but the fact Knoppix is no higher in the rankings might also suggest there is no actual concentration of date recovery experts there.

5. Anquestory

You misunderstand the purpose of my query. I have NO INTENTION to charge for support, and do not have the necessary credentials even to consider doing so. I merely wish to be able to provide that option to licensees of my patent, particularly when a licensee is not offered in a public forum a solution to a problem in what the licensee would consider a timely manner. Further, my understanding of open licenses is that paid support is permitted provided it is not packaged with the software (i.e., sold by the vendor providing the download of the software or as a condition of the download). I am not an attorney but in my profession, I do advise individuals, attorneys and even courts on matters relating to property rights, and have actually helped to create a legal precedent on the same. That said, it would be my intention to confirm that those recommended to me as a source for paid support would be acceptable to Klaus Knopper.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    I read it to mean that no-one could charge for support under that GPL license. Perhaps I was wrong.

7. Anquestory

This is a bit of a "gray area" depending not just upon how one defines "use", but also if the specific license departs from standard GPL practice, with my understanding being that there is considerable "wiggle room" in what is or is not allowed. Red Hat Linux is one flavor of Linux that does allow paid support, but I have never investigated the particular phrasing used in its licenses to say if it departs from standard language in this particular area.
    Debian -- Consultants
    The following is a list of people who make at least part of their income from doing paid support ... Debian lists the consultants simply as a ... it-support/linux ...
    [​IMG]https://www.debian.org/consultants/
    P.S. Knoppix is Debian based, so that link may ultimately provide the answer to my question.

8. MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Knoppix most user friendly? you must be very thin on your knowledge on linux and with information from many years ago.

Linux mint is the easiest distribution for new users:

https://linuxmint.com/

and actually has a built in back up tool called backintime

9. Anquestory

I have a copy of Mint but have not worked with it enough to share your opinion that backintime is comparable to, much less better than, the tools in Knoppix.

From what I can determine, backintime is something that is only packaged with Mint, along with some other tools, so they must then be installed by the user after, and while I have the knowledge to do such an install, I am far from confident that would be true of the entire market I am targeting with my patent, plus, I am hesitant to create my own package that would have these packages. Further, it appears that it is "maintenance", not "recovery", software as https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/backintime-common states it backs up only the "changed" portions of a drive, while I would need more control over what is backed up.

I may be allowing my own preferences, as I store my personal files by project, not "libraries", to influence how I approach Knoppix recovery, so the recoveries I have done with Knoppix have been strictly individual files, not folders. Never considered doing recoveries by folder, as file extensions are typically lost in the Windows system I am attempting to recover, and because the file type is displayed even without an extension, I can segregate the files I recover into category specific folders.

Having never attempted a back up in Knoppix by folder or even an entire drive. I don't know if it is indeed possible or the consequence of the same, thus that back up by folder is specifically identified as a feature of backintime/Mint appeals to me

But I would want details of how it is done within Mint that I am not finding at the Mint homepage.

First, are backed up folders saved as a single file, or as a folder?

Second, if backed up as a single file, does the user have the ability to designate a format that is Windows compatible?

Third, would backed up files be identified by content or extension? and

Fourth, does the user have the ability to designate the destination of the backup?

10. MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Well what kind of patent are you going for with your software?
    Is it going to be open source or proprietary?

11. Anquestory

My patent will amend an existing patent for a new end, to wit, restoring access to crashed computer hard drives to recover data without using an actual clean room through a process I call Clean Room in a Box with licenses sold to a downloadable digital user's manual, thus I would not classify it as software in the sense I believe you are using the term.

As I lack the kind of computer background to presume I would be able to develop companion products, I intend to use licensing income from the patent primarily to fund historical/genealogical projects from which I realize no income until they are completed, thus lack adequate resources to hire staff to assist me, though I do intend to continue my testing in collaboration with others through a licensee only users forum I have already set up at LinkedIn.

One of those projects potentially rewrites the story of how/why the Catholic Diocese of Richmond, Virginia, was created in 1820.

I found a first person account by someone the official account acknowledges played a key role in the events that not only refutes the nature of his involvement, but is partially confirmed in contemporary civil records.

I want to search not only those civil records more thoroughly, but also both civil and ecclesiastical records for other locations identified through that first person account to see whether the preponderance of evidence supports that official version or the first person account!

Licenses to Clean Room in a Box will be open, but not specifically open source. In this case, open means the license will never expire.

That is because I have only been able to confirm thus far Clean Room in a Box works on spindle technology, which I expect to be obsolete, even with the introduction of fusion technology, before I would need to renew the patent.

The process presumably works with the spindle component of a fusion drive, but I have not had access to any such drives to confirm that.

It may work with solid state drives for while I was able to restore access to a flash drives, I knew it to have no data, so am hesitant to claim recovery is possible not just with flash drives, but solid state drives, not withstanding they have the same basic architecture.

Though I have restored access to a flash drive, I hesitate to say data can be recovered from either such drives or solid state drives given the similarity of their architecture, because I knew the flash drive to have no data on it and I have also not

Selling licenses to a digital manual explaining my process isn't a significant departure from the practice with many Linux flavors/distros where a printed manual is sold, perhaps with more information in the same that is contained within the readme or help files of the flavor, but packaged with a CD of the flavor that is ostensibly free.

I will NOT be selling the components I will recommend be used with it, given both the expectation that most would already be in the inventory of most potential licensees and difficulty of determining what items to warehouse and in what quantities to make a profit, and that would include Knoppix, if not Mint, given they are available through a free download.

That said, the actual contents of Clean Room in a Box itself will NOT BE OPEN/open source.

To make it "open source" too easily identifies the item whose patent I am amending, allowing my process to be pirated.

Of course, someone may buy a license then release the information to the public, but I would think few businesses would give competitors such an edge. Further, doing so would be a criminal act, that in my home state of Virginia is classified as a felony, being punishable upon conviction with a jail term of between 1 and 20 years, and/or a fine of up to $2500, not to overlook provide grounds for filing a breech of contract complaint with credit reporting agencies.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are attempting to do, this has already been done. It is called Parted Magic linux. I use Parted Magic for a number of tasks.
    PM recovers data, secure erases drives, resets passwords, etc, etc.

13. Anquestory

I believe you have indeed misunderstood.

An OS, whether Windows or a flavor of Linux, must be able to ACCESS, i.e., SEE, a drive and its contents, before any files on it can be recovered.

I have encountered instances where contents of drives Windows did not see were seen by a Linux flavor without any need for my process.

However, my process can make visible the contents of drives that prior to its use were not even seen by a Linux distro, i.e, reported as blank, if the drive itself was even seem.

That is why I specifically stated in my prior post that my process can restore access without using a true clean room, as well as why I call my process Clean Room in a Box.

That said, I had never heard of Parted Magic. I have never particularly liked QParted as I find it a lot more difficult to use than CopyCommander but CopyCommander does not work with external media, so I tend to use QParted to create the partitions then CopyCommander to resize them. With what I am finding on-line about Parted Magic, it sounds like it would be a superior tool than QParted, but I prefer buying a distro on CD/DVD over direct download because of the frequency where checksum reveals problems with my downloads, and Parted Magic does not seem to offer an option of delivery on a CD/DVD. If you know of source for the same on CD/DVD, I would appreciate being advised of the same.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

All you have to do is check their website;
    https://partedmagic.com/downloads/
    Purchase on a usb or dvd is one of the options.

From my experience, if parted magic [and all of the tools included] do not see a drive, you are not going to see it with anything. The only option in that case is a data recovery service that can open the drive and read the disk.
    Frankly I am surprised that the dvd is still an option on the parted magic site since many modern systems do not even have an optical drive.

15. Anquestory

Thank you for pointing out the link for a DVD copy of Parted Magic. I have purchased a copy of it.

I am eager to receive it to see if I can duplicate your experience by testing it on drives emitting a gyroscopic field. Though they sound "healthy", no flavor of Linux I have used sees such a drive, much less its content.

Otherwise, the most plausible explanation of our different experiences is that you have never listened for any sounds emitted by drives seen by Parted Magic.

All healthy drives emit the same sound, the whirl of an electric motor.

When I have been able to see a drive and its contents in a Linux flavor that Windows does not see without using Clean Room in a Box, the sound the drive emitted was "normal"

In additional to a gyroscopic field, I have identified in crashed drives a dozen distinctly different behaviors, with variables of each.

Clean Room in a Box is capable of changing some of those behaviors of crashed hard drives, returning the behavior to that of a normal drive, at which point the drive and its contents can be seen.

That said, it occurs to me to ask if you, or any of the other forum members, know of a means to eliminate gyroscopic fields when emitted by hard drives, as that is one behavior that Clean Room in a Box, at least as it is presently formulated, will not change, so the question then becomes whether removing that field also removes any possibility of access to data that was on such a drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!