1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where can I get a Maxtor Hard Drive Circuit Board?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sadguy, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sadguy

Sadguy Thread Starter

I had a Maxtor 250 hard drive, and someone plugged a laptop power lead in it and it zapped it. I have dismantled the external hard drive and put the maxtor directly into my pc, but this stops the pc booting.

I have spoken to maxtor and they have suggested that I buy a hard drive circuit board, but I cannot find anywhere that sells them. (Or I just don't know where to look).

maxtor have told me this....

"For the following Maxtor hard drive models: Fireball 3, DiamondMax 16, DiamondMax Plus 8, DiamondMax Plus 9, Diamond Max 10 and all MaxLine products there is also a GTLA Number on the model (next to barcode on the bottom of the drive). Format 1Y222J2223322. 1, 2 and 3 stand for numbers, Y and J for letters. The numbers 1 and 3 as well as the letter Y need to be identical to be able to replace the PCB on these drives."

My Hard drive details as follows: DiamondMax 10.
    Model: 6L25ORO
    250GB PATA133 HDD
    TLA #: 6L25ORO153401 AAB
    SN: L59L82XH

Any help or advice on how I can get my hands on one of these and you will make a friend for life.

Thanx in anticipation

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

So Maxtor didn't offer you one then? :confused:

The usual advice is to buy an identical drive and swap the controller card over.
    You may be able to recover your data that way, but obviously, you can only use one of the drives at a time with the one card - and there's a risk of losing another circuit board and drive if you're not extremely careful with the procedure.

3. Sadguy

Sadguy Thread Starter

I don't mind losing one of the drives, I just need to know where to buy the correct circuit board to replace the first one.

On my first disk that I have currently lost are my photos, music, bank account, personal info and other and I don't mind spending $100 £100 to replace.

:(

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Honestly your best bet is buying a whole identical drive, eBay may be a good source for a drive for this use. When you find one you think is correct just make sure to email to the buyer the exact info you need to match it up correctly.

5. Sadguy

Sadguy Thread Starter

I appreciate the idea of buying of ebay, but if I am looking for a hard drive that meets my spec, could you honestly believe I will find one?

6. SacsTC

SacsTC

Did you change the jumper? Sounds like you have 2 HD's set as master

7. Sadguy

Sadguy Thread Starter

SacsTC

The jumpers are correct. In fact I took everything off the power supply except the maxtor (which was set to master) and like I said it just wont boot, it is as though the drive is tripping the power supply.
    I then re-attached my normal C: drive (as Master) and set Maxtor as slave but again it wouldn't boot. When the maxtor was removed it booted as normal.
    I am going to look on ebay in the hope that I can get hold of a similar drive.

Thanks to all who have taken trouble to reply to this thread.

SG

8. Sadguy

Sadguy Thread Starter

Triple6

Think I might have found one on ebay. Thank you very much.

Also, thanks to everyone for the advice and taking the time to reply.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I keep a collection of bad hard drives at work for this kind of purpose, many times I get lucky.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I put all the dead drives I get into a box in the closet. I've had a couple of hits, and a lot of misses, but it's another wrench in the toolbox. :D

11. Sadguy

Sadguy Thread Starter

JohnWill,

The advice is much appreciated. Unfortunately I don't come across many to put in my cupboard. I read somewhere that someone always buys two of the same disk at the same time and uses one as back up. Then if they get the same problem that I have, they could swap data (presumably on to two new disks) and then change the cards. Food for thought.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice