1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where can I get a negative scanner ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by waterboy456, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waterboy456

waterboy456 Thread Starter

Hi Folks'...

Anyone got any good source for me to buy a negative scanner ?

I have a load of older film that I want to now digitise.

Any advice help would be grately appreciated please, thanks ;)

2. slipe

slipe

You have to decide how much you want to spend. There is another thread here by someone who bought a film and slide scanner that is powered by the USB, which means it probably has CIS sensors. Scan quality is probably poor even compared to a medium price range flatbed with CCDs.

There are flatbed scanners that will scan several film strips at the same time and give decent results. To do more than two film strips at a time you have to go to a pricier scanner.

If you get too cheap a scanner you don’t get true Digital Ice, which removes scratches and dust using a laser to find it. It saves a lot of work in an image editor but increases the scan times.

I’ve had reasonable results with my Epson V500, which does have Digital Ice and was $200 with free shipping about a year or so ago. The newer version is the V600, also with Digital Ice. I would prefer a higher end flatbed to scan my entire collection though since I could do more at once. I have an older HP dedicated film and slide scanner, but only use it occasionally for single scans. It is much too inconvenient and slow to digitize my entire collection.

Results are best from a quality dedicated unit like the Nikon Coolscan series, but they are pricey.

3. antimoth

antimoth

The Epson V500 is a good inexpensive route for digitizing 35 mm negatives. They might make holders for 120 and 620 film. I made one out of cardboard for 120. If you have 110 film, that's probably too small to get anything good.

I paid $160 for my V500, but have seen them under $190 shipped from places like newegg.

If you get one of them scanners that go for $69-$99, we will watch for your posts here when they don't come up on the USB bus or when the colors are all like mud. Not saying they all do that, but hardly any one ever posts for Epson help.

4. reba

reba

One thing you might want to look at is a scanning service. I had about 1200 slides that I wanted to scan. When I figured out the time it would take, sitting in front of the thing for 2-5 minutes per scan, depending on the scanner and my computer, it started to look less appealing.

I went to ScanCafe and got them done for 22cents (on special) a scan plus shipping. I figured I saved several weeks of frustration and the cost of the scanner. Even if I resold the scanner, there's more time and effort involved there.

I'm not affiliated with ScanCafe in any way other than as a customer. The scan quality was good - they use Nikon 5000s. They weren't as good as a negative scan would be, but for my purposes, family stuff going back to the 1940's, it was just fine.

5. sparsons6183

sparsons6183

Look at this thread. Someone we helped earlier who had gotten one of those cheaper, mail order type of scanners out of a catalog for 100 bucks. Stay away from that option. I have managed a camera shop for the last couple of years and the only way to go is flatbed if you don't want to spend a lot. See below for some options.

http://forums.techguy.org/digital-photography-imaging/889280-solved-digitalizing-slides.html

V300 (currently out of stock) - $99
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63077159
    Epson 4490 - $149
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=53540925
    Canon LiDE700F - $129
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=18125

If you like the flatbed scanners and want a higher quality, look for the V700 or V750 by Epson. Both are really good, and in the 700 dollar range new.

As mentioned in that thread, the Coolscan 5000 used is awesome. I've used one myself and I was really pleased with the results. I highly recommend it if you want to do it yourself. Also, it does take forever. I scanned about 90 negatives and it took approx 3 nights of work to get it done.

So a scanning service wouldn't be a bad option if you are strapped for time. I hope this helps!

Sam

6. RonRizzy

RonRizzy

To be honest, I'm really a stickler for archiving stuff. I have just been in the process myself of converting 35mm slides to digital. It was time for me to get a new scanner anyway, and I decided to go with the Canon 8800F that was a full 8 1/2 x 11 flatbed, AND had attachments for 35mm negatives, and 35mm (positive) slides, and glass slides. (THAT shocked me...but way cool!) My reason in choosing Canon is I have owned many Canon products over the years (minus printers) and have NEVER had any "crap" quality with them.

All-in-all, it ran me $200 from Tiger Direct, I also speak from experience that the negative scanning is a piece of cake, and have scanned all the negatives from our wedding, at 6400dpi...and I even used a few colorful expletives after the first few scans...!! LOL I couldn't believe the quality of the scan and the overall output.

Just my two cents. I know it's a bit late, so if you haven't found one yet, try looking up that model, or some of the other Canons with the attachments with them.

Basically, GREAT quality, for a "reasonable" price/budget.

7. chuggs

chuggs

So I bought one of the lower end scanners (Vupoint digital film and slide converters FS-C1-VP-BX2). I read a lot and heard both bad and good so thought I would give it a try. I want to convert my negatives. It comes with Photoimpressions 6 software and ovt scanner vista64. I use vista on a laptop and have 2.0 usb port...all the stuff it is supposed to work with. When I try to aquire the picture from the scanner it will not go to the live view screen so I can't do anything. I can scan the negative into Picassa 3 but then cannot change the negative to a picture. I think that tells me that the scanner is working and that I am having the problem with the Arc software. I contacted arcsolutions and was provided an updated version of Photoimpressions (photoimpressions 6.1.8.130. After removing and reinstalling many many times I still have nothing......does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
    Chuggs

8. shannon08

shannon08

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice