Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Where can I get ALL current windows updates in one place?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  noblelord 
#1 ·
I've just had a laptop returned from repair
I've had the hard disc replaced
Problem now: it's taking me a million years to update ALL windows updates
It seems to take a 1000 years for the updates to download in the first place
But then it takes another 1000 years for the installation :(

I was thinking: could I speed up the download anyhow?
Is there somewhere on Microsoft's website where I can download all current updates?

I heard this is normally only reserved for engineers with an account at Microsoft

In total, I've spent 5+ hours updating!!!

Thanks

OM

#2 ·
Hi,

If your computer came with Service Pack 2 there would not be all that many updates before you were offered Service Pack 3....course, we don't know if you are using XP pr Vista yet. When you post if you want efficient help, you need to give details.

What type of Internet connection do you have? Dialup would be pretty useless....

High speed or broadband is best. If you have something like DSL through the phone company, it might be slow due to where you are located. If you have a friend who has a similar high speed connection, they use the same connecting hardware. For a wired Ethernet (same as broadband, uses a network cable from a cable or DSL modem) you can just plug it in and start the machine up and it should be online.

Then try Updates.....

The latest Service Pack (3 for XP) contains all the latest updates for security and the like....perhaps not everything you need, like the latest .NET framework, latest Java, Flash Player, things like that you do later anyway.

Servie Pack 3 for XP is available on CD, some of your friends may even have one, or a tech shop could make one for you in 4 minutes flat.....

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx

There are some things to know about how applying individual Updates, like Internet Explorer 7 or 8, affects being able to UNinstall either, the best way is to install pre-Service Pack 2 or 3 updates and get the service pack installed, then you will have a good basis and be able to UNinstall IE 7 or 8 later if need be.

You can also download the whole SP3 there, but it is a larger download than through Windows Updates, all in all it might be better if Updates is taking "forever".

#5 ·
guys, thanks for all the replies

the OS is vista
my connection: 20mb broadband!!
so downloading a service pack in one go from the microsoft website would be really fast for me

i'm not sure what version service pack is latest on vista, but lets assume its ver 2
can i just get ver 2 and install - without bothering about ver 1?

i've had a look on the microsoft website: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd262148.aspx

i know what x64 is - 64bit versions right??
what's x86??
and where the 32 bit version download??

thanks

#7 ·
thanks for letting me know
i didn't know about the x86 actually :)
what does it stand for?

advanced?
yes, i would actually classify myself as that!
but: the advanced was not added by me
i think the more u post, the better title u get (regardless of ur exeprience level) - this is added automatically by the website

#8 ·
but: the advanced was not added by me
i think the more u post, the better title u get (regardless of ur exeprience level) - this is added automatically by the website
It's not controlled by the site - it's a field you set on your profile. The forum updates your membership rank (Junior Member, Member, Senior Member etc) based on the number of posts.

If you wish to know more about x86 and x64 there are plentiful resources available via Google. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.