1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where can I see my AGP Driver listed ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rysz, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

Have early W98, never used AGP slot, now i am going to,where it is listed and how can i determine wether it is from my mother board CD or Microsoft ? I am not even sure it is there. Mother Board DTK(1998) new video card Radeon VE 32/64 DDR.

Thank You

2. slipe

slipe

I’m sure it is there someplace but I’ve never run across it. Just plug the card in and install the drivers. The card will show up in device manager under Display adapters.

Belarc Advisor doesn’t even show the AGP but shows the PCI bus and the particulars. I’ve always assumed it is part of the Intel busmaster controllers.

3. fireboy69

fireboy69

On my system, the AGP controller shows up under System Devices in Device Manager. As Slipe said, you should be able to just plug it in and go, at least that's what I did when I replaced my motherboard two weeks ago.

4. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

Thanks Slipe
    Drivers ? I thought there is only one.
    How one plugs monitor while changing Video Cards ?
    Is this the right way ?:
    1 Plug new V Card
    2 install diver from CD
    3 plug monitor to a new V C
    4 remove old V C and old driver

5. slipe

slipe

Lot of shutting down that way. You don’t have to install the driver before plugging in the monitor.

You can also remove the old driver before shutting down, and remove the card when you install the new one. Windows will supply a crummy display sufficient to install the new driver. It looks just like safe mode because safe mode doesn’t use the driver.

I wouldn’t think you would want to install the new driver with the old card and driver active anyway.

On my Win98SE system the AGP isn’t in device manager.

6. brianF

brianF

agp driver version should be listed under system devices

To install new card, go to add remove programs, remove any that refer to the current card and drivers.

go to start/settings/control panel/display/settings/advanced/adapter/change/follow prompts, select show all compatible devices, scroll to the top of the list and choose standard vga, follow rest of prompts. shut down. Remove old card, install new card, reboot, windows should find new hard ware and you should be able to install new drivers off cd.

7. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

Thank You all Guys
    slipe, yes i was concerned about display without a driver, not a word about this on lousy radeon booklet, since i never seen safe mode it would really freak me out.

brianF, I found the driver at system devices clicked on it and was able to search Microsoft for better one, but there is none.
    Thanks again, now i can tweak this amazing machine a
    little.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice