where did my contacts go?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kerri Ann

after reinstalling my dsl components, i lost my outlook express contacts, because i accidentally installed outlook express from the install cd, when i already had it.
is there maybe some place where my contacts from my old oe were stored as a backup or something?

WAB Disappears After Installing an Upgrade
Many folks have reported that after installing an upgrade to OE, they cannot find their original Windows Address Book (or WAB). The good news is that in the vast majority of cases, your address book files are still there and OE can be configured to access your old WAB. Start by searching for *.wab files on your computer. If you find one, then go to Start | Run and type in "wab /open" (without the quotes) and browse to the location of that file. If your WAB file opens properly, then reopen OE and open your default (empty) WAB file from there (Tools | Address Book). While in the Windows Address Book, go to Help | About Windows Address Book and write down the path to and name of what OE thinks is your default wab. Now, with the other WAB file that hopefully works, change the name to the name reflected in Help | About Windows Address Book and then copy the newly renamed file to the path listed there.
By the way, it's possible that your WAB file is hidden, so make sure you go to Tools, Folder Options, View and check "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

HTH
Gram

Kerri Ann

Gram! thank you thank you thank you!
i thought they were gone for good. i appreciate your help very much...

KerriAnn -

Don't know if you are aware, but you can very easily create a back up of your address book, to store on a floppy, CD, second HDD, Etc...

Address Book > File> Export > Address Book (WAB)

Personally, for me, loosing the address book and/or My Favorites would be one huge headache. Everything is much easier to track down.
;)

Kerri Ann

yeah, i did know, but hadn't done sanything about it yet. now i have though... thanx!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online