1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where did my free space go?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mixx941, Apr 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hello all. I have a question regarding the free space on my C drive. I am loosing space on the C drive constantly. I have uninstalled programs that might be taking up a lot of space, but I don't seem to get space back when I uninstall them. I am running Windows XP and I keep getting these LOW DISK SPACE baloon popups in the lower right corner. They are very annoying if you know what I mean. I am looking for a way to have my PC run faster, and to have some space to actually run smoothly. I was putting off telling you how much free space I have, but I guess now is the time...prepare yourselves:

ONLY 2.2 MB!!!

I don't know how this keeps happening. I uninstall programs, run disk cleanup everyday. I have 52MB and then after sitting for about 10 minutes...not even touching it...I have 5MB. Pathetic as it might sound, it is really bad. I was corresponding with a Microsoft "Tech" about this. We moved My Documents over to the D Drive calling it "My Docs". Apparently all my apps save it there as the default now. Would it be safe to delete My Documents on the C?

Please post back with any ideas, as taking 10 minutes to get into windows on an Athlon 1800+ Athlon XP is pretty bad!!!

Thanks,

-Mark

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the d: drive has a lot of room on it try moving the paging file to that drive. As to where your free space is going, xp uses some to create restore points, the paging file is probably growing and shrinking in proportion to usage.
    This might be a silly question, but you have emptied the recycle bin not just deleted files?
    How big is the c: drive? It may be time for a larger hd.

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

To expound on crj's question, how big are the partitions?

Also, if you use IE, you can move the temporary internet files to the d part by going into tools, internet options -- general tab -- temporary internet files settings and selecting the d: Also, while you are in there , check to see how much space it is using. Mine was set to use 500 megs, I lowered it to 50 and had no problems.

If there are still files in the my documents on c, check to make sure that all your files were moved to the D: if they were, then you can delete it. I did the same thing on my system.

In the future, you can install programs to the D: they will still run, this will help. although some programs still need a small bit of space in the C:.

Another thing to look at is the size of your mailbox folders. If they are big, you can also move them to D: by going into Outlook Express and opening tools- options. Click the maintenance tab. Click the store folder, then select a folder on the D: to move them to.

Lowering the number of restore point setting can also help. Those things get huge.

When you move the page file, make the minimum and maximum the same setting. A good rule of thumb for size is the amount of ram you have +12 megs or the amount of ram you use time 1.5. I see both touted as good. I use ram x 1.5 personally.

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

You might want to check, and if necessary lower the space reserved on the drive for system restore. You will find the setting from Control Panel / system/ system restore / settings. The default is 10% of the drive. The minimum you can set and still have restore run is 200 MB.

The other potential space hog is the space reserved for the recycle bin. Right click on its icon, and choose properties. Again the default is 10% of every drive in the system reserved for it. I have usually found it to be OK to turn this down to 2 -3 %, and less than that on drives over 40GB.

5. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

You stated you are running XP. If you got there via an upgrade, or if you have applied large fixes like service packs, there MAY be some very large "un-install" files (which allow you to revert back to previous environments).

As you are checking about you also want to make sure you have set the options to view ALL files (hidden, system, compressed, etc). Sometimes the biggies are hidden by default.

6. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

1) Slithy, the uninstall files are taking up only 400MB. The C drive is 13GB so not much there.

2) Brooks, I have 2 physical drives. C is 13GB. D is 40GB. The temp internet files are only a few MB...not much and I empty them everyday. I know I can install programs to D, but I use D for video editing so I don't want it all cluttered up. It is already pretty full also, I only have 9GB left on the D (about 25 minutes for digital video using Pinnacle).

3) crj, I have some stuff in the Recycle Bin, and yes I know to empty that to delete files (after all I build computers for myself and friends). My recycle bin has 408MB of stuff in there. I know that's quite a bit, but some of it I might not want to delete forever.

Please post back with any ideas.

-Mark

7. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Understood !! But, when you have only 2.2mb freespace 400mb here and 400mb there becomes HUGE.

Sounds like you're quite familiar with all the "standard" stuff - I have no further ideas unless you have lost some capacity due to bad spots on the disk(s).

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Here is a little program that might help determine what is taking up so much space. To see the files, you will have to use the detail view. The pie chart only shows the folder sizes.

It is shareware.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize.html

9. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Thanks for that program Brooks!

Here are the results:

Programs: 39.9%
    Windows: 13.6%
    Files 10.7%
    Other: 1.1%
    Documents: 18.5%
    Recycled: 12.9%
    Undo: 3.3%

I took the time one day to go through the C drive while Add/Remove programs was open, removing any programs I do not use. Those have been uninstalled incorrectly by someone...it says something like "Can't find the uninstall file for..."

Please post back!

-Mark

10. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Try using the details view, it will return the numbers in megabytes for you.

I will check back later tonight, as it is time for me to start the weekly backups and head to dinner.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!