1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where did my window go?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brinabear, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brinabear

brinabear Thread Starter

My task bar won't hold any windows. I open an application, and if I minimise it, I have to do control alt delete to get it back. I have no idea what I did to this computer to make it mad, but the other users on here that have accounts are not having this problem. PLEASE HELP ME! I AM GOING CRAZY!:eek:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'll assume you're running Windows XP. You probably have your taskbar locked or set in some unusual configuration. First verify it's unlocked by right-clicking on it and seeing that Lock the Taskbar is unchecked. Then start looking for vertical lines on the taskbar. Put your mouse over them and drag them around. Do this with a few programs open so you can see the programs appear.

3. brinabear

brinabear Thread Starter

Thanks, but I tried it and it is not working. I think I hid the windows or something. I don't know what I did. But thanks for the help.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The taskbar isn't a window. If it were hidden, you wouldn't see the Start button or the clock either. Why don't you post a screen shot of the taskbar with several programs open.

5. brinabear

brinabear Thread Starter

Ok, i have the taskbar. I do not, however, have the "task buttons" for my open windows. I know how to hide and show the taskbar, what I need is how to show the "task buttons".
    (You know, when you open an application or a program and at the bottom of the screen inside the taskbar it says like "Yahoo! Mail". That is what I am missing.)

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I know what you're missing. Take a screen shot and post it here.

7. brinabear

brinabear Thread Starter

Ok, but how do I take a screen shot?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Press the Print Screen button. Then open Paint and click Edit, Paste. Save the picture. Upload it here.

9. mike5532g

mike5532g

This may help. Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and download #240 Programs aren't minimized in the taskbar. To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

10. brinabear

brinabear Thread Starter

This link is not working. I have tried it several times, and it doesn't work.

I can not post a screen shot because I have dialup and it would take me all day to do that. Besides, if you know what is wrong, why do you need a screen shot?

Thanks guys!

brinabear

:confused:

11. mike5532g

mike5532g

12. brinabear

brinabear Thread Starter

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You! It Worked! I Have Windows On My Task Bar Again! You Are A Genius!:D :D :D

13. mike5532g

mike5532g

[tsg=yourewelcome]yourewelcome[/tsg]

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice