1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where did "Reformatting" go?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

(i guess this falls under hardware)

With my older computers,that had WIN98se,i did a full reformat at least 50 times. ie put in one disk,reformat,put in another disk with drivers,etc,. and the computer comes out brand new,virgin-like.

With XPcompaq that comes with no reformat disks of course, i did a "system recovery" but it did not erase everything. Is it possibe to do a Full Reformat on an XP? and how?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

With the compaq restore disk, it should take it back to how it was when you purchased it.......it didn't do this?????

Or are you speaking about just XP system recovery?

3. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i went to: start>
    ..................... programs>
    ..................................... pc recovery tools>
    ............................................................. compaq system recovery

i chose "compaq system recovery". it seemed to do the reformat process and took 1 hour to accomplish. but left software i added intsalled,etc,. the computer was close to being like the first time i turned it on,but not quite.

4. ~Candy~

Software that came with the computer, or add on software that you purchased separately?

Usually the system recovery doesn't keep much. Did your documents, emails, etc. get trashed? Or were those kept intact too?

5. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

nope. outlook emails are intact. my goal is to nuke everything

6. ~Candy~

Compaq makes it difficult. I would be hesitant to advise you to format c: without knowing how the restore disk would respond. Most don't have a setup.exe file like most operating system cds do.

And you say you have no CDs that came with the computer?

7. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i have heard rumors compaq reformats are difficult. i do have an option to make recovery disks. possibly i have to make a disk.

i think i found something,i'm just reading it but finding how to a "destructive recovery' is still difficult.

System Recovery. The System Recovery program, in this normal default mode of operation, recovers applications, drivers and the operating system to their factory-shipped condition. Accordingly, after System Recovery finishes, you need to re-install and re-configure any application that you installed yourself (including upgrades or revisions to the factory-shipped version of any application).
    However, the System Recovery, in this normal default mode of operation, will not delete any DATA FILES that you created.

Destructive Recovery. This option first formats the hard disc drive erasing all files. The system is then recovered back to back to its original state. All data including files and applications loaded after you purchased your PC will be lost in the process.

8. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i think i found it. im going to proceed and if successful,will report closure. it has to do with hitting the f10 key after a cold start up.

we'll seee.

9. ~Candy~

Yes, the most important thing is that you have the disks, which it sounds like you do ;) Good luck........

10. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i found how to do a 'destructive recovery' with a compaq,at least this presario model.

shut off computer for 30 seconds.
    turn on,tap key F10 REPEATEDLY
    when a recovery screen comes up,following "advanced",one can do a destructive recovery format,that is make the computer exactly like day one.

11. ~Candy~

Sounds almost too easy :D For a Compaq :eek:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice