1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where did the extra space come from.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jfk1232, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfk1232

jfk1232 Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP Dell computer.

My computer's hard drive was really low on space. It only had about 700 MB. A large 690 MB file was then accidentally saved so that the hard drive only had about 10 MB of free space remaining.

A message then appeared saying that the computer was low on disk space. I then deleted the 690 MB file, but when I checked the free space, it wasn't 700 MB anymore. It had jumped all the way to over 2 GB.

What happened? Did Windows delete files to try to make extra room? Or, is my computer now confused about how much space it has? Maybe it really only has 700 MB, but it thinks it has over 2 GB?

I know for sure that the computer only had around 700 MB and the file that was saved and then deleted was only around 690 MB. No other files were deleted except the 690 MB one.

2. macdudenj

macdudenj

This may simply be the OS allocating room for the restore function if that software was included in a restore period. Since you deleted the software, the OS may have deleted the allocated space for restore as well.

3. jfk1232

jfk1232 Thread Starter

The 690 MB file wasn't a program. It was a giant data file. So, I don't think system restore had any space allocated for it.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Was your recycle bin clear before the deletion?
    Is it clear now?

It may have been Windows reducing an overly large paging file, since it would be unable to use much of the disk?

Page file size is dynamic, it may have prompted it to reduce it.

5. jfk1232

jfk1232 Thread Starter

The recycle bin was empty before the deletion. I had checked it right before I deleted.

I also thought maybe it could be something like a virtual memory file reduced, but would there be an over 1 GB page file when I only had around 700 MB on the hard drive?

I also was wondering if maybe Windows did something like delete old system restore files to make more room. I know that when hard drive space gets low, system restore shuts down, maybe also files get deleted?

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Presently Windows is running here with a paging file of 1.5 GB and as far as I know it would hang onto that, but there may come a time it has to let it go to survive? I note mine says it will allow a minimum of just 2 MB.

Also restore points may possibly be purged as you say, though I favour the paging file, as that is usually auto-managed. Restore points should/would require manual intervention.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice