1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where did they go?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gutterbird, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gutterbird

gutterbird Thread Starter

Running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 4600. I am wanting to uninstall several programs I no longer use. However, when I go to the "Add & Remove Programs" most of my programs are no longer displayed and the ones that are, do not have a remove option. Any thoughts on where they went or how I could refresh the list to show these programs?

2. golferbob

golferbob

3. gutterbird

Well, that didn't work. I downloaded the uninstaller program but when it pulled up a list of all my programs, only a few showed up! What happened to the rest? Any thoughts?

4. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

How about you can try system restore?

5. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hi gutterbird. If you know the names of the programs have you tried a general search ie go to start and then the search facility.
    Bob that is a definite link for the notepad utilities file.

6. Hughv

Hughv

What's the chance you uninstalled these programs already and just forgot?
    Look for their folders in C:/Program Files and just delete the folder

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Programs that have been installed appear in Add/Remove Programs pretty consistently. The fact that you're missing several indicates other problems with the system. Have you used any wonderful "cleaning" applications lately? These are famous for deleting information that people actually need like the data necessary to uninstall programs.

If the programs are actually still installed but not showing up in Add/Remove Programs, deleting the Program Files folder is asking for trouble. You might want to just leave the system as is.

8. gutterbird

Thanks for all the input guys. My system is roughly 6 years old and used alot. Several things are starting to go. I suppose I could pull up the individual program folder and see if there is an "uninstall" option within the folder itself. Otherwise I will just have to let sleeping dogs lay. As far as a system restore, every time I try that I get an error message. My system restore has not worked for about a year. May be time to ask Santa for a new system.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't need a new computer. Just reinstall the one you have. It would seem like new, and things would actually work again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice