1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where did this user account come from?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wxflyer, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wxflyer

Wxflyer Thread Starter

I'm in the process of setting up a home network. I have XP Home on the computer that's hardwired to the router.

I was attempting to configure the XP computer for file sharing when I noticed an unfamiliar user account called "ASP.NET Machine A..."

This user account does not appear on the welcome screen with the user accounts for my wife and myself. I didn't know it was there until I opened Control Panel>User Accounts, and there it was. How did this account get there, and why can't I see it on the welcome screen?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    JW

2. mobo

mobo

It is configure into windows upon instalation and can be deleted...By the administrator..

3. mobo

mobo

It is used for remote logon and more than likely a security hole that would be vulnerable to attackers...

4. Huon

Huon

You probably got it from an XP update, at least that is how I got mine.
    Motherboard is correct as always as to its uses.
    Have a look in your Add-Remove programs, and you may see an entry for ASP.NET. You can remove the whole update/program, and take out the log-in if you wish. I have done so to save space.
    The Log-in if active is extremely limited in its abilities, and you cannot use it directly.

5. Wxflyer

Wxflyer Thread Starter

Thank you all.

Do I need ASP.NET if I'm setting up a network?

Thanks.
    JW

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You do not need it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!