1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where do downloads go?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by collinsvs, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. collinsvs

collinsvs Thread Starter

Easy question for someone who knows anything about computers!

So I downloaded a few files (music and video), which crashed whilst downloading. When I go back to download the same files again, it seems that the download is still installed somewhere on my computer, as it seems to find it and download the partially downloaded version (is that making any sense), so I can never get a complete download. I've deleted the file from the download file, any idea where else these download files may be as I can't locate on the computer (tried searching by name etc)

Thanks for your help

2. lizard

lizard

Hi collinsvs!

Welcome to TSG Forums! :)

If a file is just downloaded with no instruction given as to what folder you want it downloaded to, it will usually end up in C:\Windows\Temp, or C:\Temp.

If, for some reason, the download is incomplete, the next time you try to download the file, it should ask if you wish to resume the download. BUT, this option is only available if the file(or site) you are downloading has that option available. Some partially downloaded files cannot be 'resumed' but must be restarted. If it doesn't have the resume option, a dialog should appear that says that the file already exists and asks if you want to replace it.

I have created a separate folder for downloads and I find it much easier to manage. You may want to create a special folder to direct all Downloads to also. As a download manager, I use 'Download Express' by MetaProducts. It's free and it won't put any annoying problems (ads, popups, etc...) on your system.
    http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id=18

Hope this helps out.
    Keep us posted!

_

3. collinsvs

collinsvs Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

Having re-read my posting, I don't think I explained this well.

I've got a download file, into which I've dumped all the music etc. However, for just a couple of files, the download hasn't completed properly and when I go back to download from the same site, it doesn't give an option to resume download (or to replace), but finds, I assume from somewhere on my system, the same incomplete download and gives me that back. I therefore want to delete the incomplete file, on my system from which the the download seems to be recovered - any idea at all where I can look for these files on the system (I've deleted the obvious download files) - it may be that the site from which I'm downloading, which is paid for, puts some form of one strike and out on downloads, but its beyond my limited grasp to locate these files.

I'm guessing I'm still not explaining this very well - thanks anyway.

Cheers

4. lizard

lizard

Hi again collinsvs!

If you don't have the same problem with a free site, I would guess it is some type of restriction, but I find it hard to imagine it is that way if you are paying for the right to download. :eek:
    Have you contacted the site about this download problem?
    Have you installed any software from the site?

If the file is type mpg or mpeg, for example, even if it is partial, it should be found through...
    Start>Find>Files or Folders
    Click the 'Name & Location' tab
    In the 'Named' box, type '*.mpg' (or '*.mpeg')
    In the 'Look in' box, make sure it reads 'Local hard drives:'
    Check the 'Include subfolders' box.
    Click 'Find Now'

I'm not sure if any site does this, but another idea is that they may be placing cookies on your system, limiting the files downloaded per session.

Exit the site.

Clear cookies that the site may have placed on your system.
    Click Tools>internet Options...
    Click the 'General' tab.
    Click 'Delete Cookies...'
    Click 'OK'.
    Click 'Delete Files...'
    Select 'Delete all offline content'
    Click 'OK'
    Click 'OK'

Re-enter the site and try downloading again.
    Sounds like a 'round about way of doing things...the site may have an easier answer..

I hope this helps!
    _

5. sekirt

sekirt

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice