1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where do the front audio cables go?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by L2noob, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L2noob

L2noob Thread Starter

Anyone know where to plug these in on an Asus P5K-VM board?

Ground
    L-out, L-Ret
    R-out, R-Ret
    Mic in
    Mic Power

Thanks

2. Soundy

Soundy

3. Soundy

Soundy

4. L2noob

L2noob Thread Starter

Thanks and whoops sorry

5. Soundy

Soundy

There ya go.

The "RET" lines are for "returning" audio from the headphone jack... the idea is, on some motherboards, audio first goes to the "OUT" pins, to the headphone jack, then back to the "RET" pins, and from there to the rear-panel jacks, so that when you plug in your headphones, it cuts off the audio to your speakers. It doesn't appear from the manual that this board supports that option, so the RET lines will just be unused.

6. L2noob

L2noob Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far iv got em plugged in and sorta working haha.Sound only comes out from the left speaker on the headphone but if i have it half outta the socket they both work.Iv tried different ones then tried the back audio and it works fine its just the front ones. My Line out and Line Ret are joined and it says on the manual theres meant to be a gap. Could that be the problem? And im not sure how to set up the microphone properly to test that :eek:

7. Soundy

Soundy

As suggested in the manual, try setting the front-panel connector AC'97 mode in the BIOS, and connect your L-out and R-out wires to the Line out_L and Line out_R pins on the motherboard, and the Ground wire to the AGND pin.

The Mic In wire will connect to the MIC2 pin, and Mic Power to MICPWR.

8. L2noob

L2noob Thread Starter

Still only getting sound outta the left speaker and now only getting it from the left on the back audio ports with that config :( any more suggestions?

9. Soundy

Soundy

Does the right work on the rear panel if you disconnect the front panel wires?

10. L2noob

L2noob Thread Starter

it worked when i was using line r and line out for the front panel and when i didnt have the front ones plugged in

11. L2noob

L2noob Thread Starter

still havnt solved it if anyones got any ideas

12. Soundy

Soundy

My only thought is that there's something wrong with either the wires or the jacks to the front panel...

13. L2noob

L2noob Thread Starter

i dont think so its all brand new and i havnt plugged it where the manual says i should because of the l-ret and l-out are joined so i think my options are to ether slit the connecter or can depress the copper part and slide the wire out of the plastic housing and get new single housing and put that in there

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice