1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where does Microsoft Outlook Express compresed email go?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by amandag, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amandag

amandag Thread Starter

I went into my Sent folder on Outlook Express and all but the past two days Sent email was gone!

My ISP does not cleanse email so I suspect that when I clicked OK when the message "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact mesages. This may take a few minutes" came on the screen it compressed imy Sent email and put it somewhere I can't find. All my deleted messages and inbox messages were untouched.

I keep my Sent mail because I sometimes need to go back and refer to a message I sent and I don't want to keep hard copy of every email.

Any ideas about what could have happened?

Thanks.

amandag

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi amandag

What operating system and Service Packs, if any, are installed?

3. amandag

amandag Thread Starter

XP operating system. Not sure what was the last Service Pack installed. I have updates automatically installed so I don't know. Where might I check to find out?

Thanks.

4. EAFiedler

Right click on My Computer > Properties
    On the General tab it should list the Service Pack number.

5. sekirt

sekirt

You really don't want to permanently store emails in any of the default folders (inbox/outbox/sent items/deleted items/drafts). Make custom folders and store emails in them.

Here is more information:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

sekirt

6. EAFiedler

In agreement with sekirt, I move my Sent items to folders of my own creation in Outlook Express.

It would still be helpful to know which Service Pack is installed.

Download this program to see if your Sent Items *might* still be in the Sent Items folder.
    Outlook Express Extraction

Let us know what you find.

7. amandag

amandag Thread Starter

I've been away, hence the delay in my reply.

Service Pack 2 is installed.

8. amandag

amandag Thread Starter

I downloaded the extraction program EAFiedler suggested doing. Sorry but I'm not sure how to use it to see if my Sent email might still be in my Sent folder. The site itself didn't offer much direction as it's for folks with more technical expertise than I have.

Thanks.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The act of compacting messages does not move them to another location. The DBX files that the messages are stored in are simply compacted in place. Your ISP can't access the Sent Items folder in Outlook Express, so it's not their issue.

Compacting and compressing files always runs the risk of data loss. That's why you need to make backups of your important data.

10. sekirt

sekirt

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/480210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice