1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

where does 'Windows Update' saves its downloads?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sallam, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sallam

sallam Thread Starter

where does 'Windows Update' saves its downloads?

For example, I've used windows update service to selected a patch about 'computer fails when connected to a UPS'. It was downloaded and installed successfully. But I failed to find the downloaded file in my local machine. I need to save copies of such patches for later use, in case of a disk format or fresh windows install.

In that particular example, I have managed to get the name of the file: Q310437_x86.exe, which is a 161k file
    so I seached my disk, only to find that the only file similarly named is called: Q310437_X86.EXE-036F9854.pf , a 12k file, and it was saved in folder: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

So what does that mean?
    does windows delete downloaded update patches after installing them? are these .pf files just a history file telling windows what updates exist in a machine's system?

If so, can that behavior be prevented, so that download patches stay and dont get deleted automatically?

2. KeithKman

KeithKman

Prefetch is a neat feature from Microsoft. What it does is it keeps track of what programs you use most often, and will open these files faster that the files you don't use as much. What I do is delete everything in my Prefetch folder every month, just to keep it clean. Deleting files that are in the prefetch folder will not harm your machine.

3. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

I think Windows Update files are saved to "C:\WUTemp". It's a hidden directory and the files are removed after install.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to manually download the updates and apply them if you want to save them for future use.

5. sallam

sallam Thread Starter

distinguished member, thanks for your smart solution.

anyhow, I now know the answer:
    1- use windows update only to identify the patches your system is lacking.
    2- go to:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp?corporate=true
    to really download and save the patches of your choice. Details files will also come with the dowloads, which is a plus!

6. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for sharing the info.

7. sallam

sallam Thread Starter

Its the least I should do in return. You are running a superbly useful forums here.

8. Dan O

Dan O

I agree, we have many good users and helpers.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/122872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice