Where has my paint gone?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jampot

I am running XP and have noticed that the paint application is missing from my desktop. I have several other user accounts set up on my PC which are showing the paint icon. Is there a way of copying this over to my user account. I have tried copy + paste via the 'Documents and Settings ' folders but to no avail.

Also how can I insert screen prints into postings such as TSG. I am able to capture a screen shot via Alt + Prints Scrn and have managed to paste this into say a Word document via Ctrl + V but not into a posting such as this!

Any help on these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

jampot.

Go to "start/all programs/ accessories /paint right click and send to desktop(create shortcut)."

And to upload a pic:
Go to the message window at the bottom of this page and click "Go Advanced" Scroll down to and click "manage attachments". In the window that appears browse to the folder that has the picture you want to upload, select it and click "upload", click "Close this window" complete your message and submit reply.

jampot

xgerryx

Thanks for the reply. I don't seem to have the paint application under accessories. I have checked elsewhere but it is just not there!. As I mentioned the application is on the three other user accounts that i have set up. I vaguely remember copying it before via Documents and settings > username>Start Menu > Programmes. I have tried this but will not let me paste the function into my user account. Any ideas!

On the second point I wanted to include the screenshot in the posting itself rather than as an attachment. I tried using the 'Insert image' function above, as this is what I use to incude an image into a regular e-mail - however clicking on it results in a box stating 'Script Prompt enter text to be formatted xxx[IMG]' which seems to be confusing!

Thanks

jampot

Attachments

Go to start > run and enter mspaint. If it doesn't run you need to install the from add/remove programs in control panel.

jampot

I have checked in the folder system 32 and am not able to see the paint function there. There was a load of stuff in this folder so I have gone through it 3 times but paint is definitely not there.

Is there not a way that I can cut and paste the function from another user account that does have the application?

Thanks

jampot.

ps an answer to the screen shot problem would also be much appreciated.

Click on Manage Attachments in the box additional options below the reply to thread box. Select browse and locate the file on your computer that you want to submit.
If mspaint is not in system32 folder, then you will have to reinstall as suggested above from Rockn

jampot

Thanks for all those who have helped with the problem I have had with mspaint.
I have done as Rockn suggested and have managed to launch mspaint via the run box. Does this mean that it is in the system 32 folder somewhere - some of the files in it look like they should not be tampered with so I am reluctant to probe too deeply in case I alter some of my PC settings.

On the issue of inserting an image into a posting is it possible to use the 'Insert Image' function rather than 'Manage attachments' Am I right in saying that the former would actually include an image in the posting (which is what I want) whereas 'Manage attachments' would provide a link to an image. When i clicked on the 'Insert image' icon I got a pop up box which I did not understand.

Sorry if I am repeating myself but TSG has provided so much assistance to me over the years I really would be lost without it!

Thanks again (y)

jampot.

Yes your mspaint should be in system32 folder. From start> search> all files and folders> type mspaint and run a search. You will see an icon file in the list with paint brushes, this is the program. Beside the icon will the the folder in is located in which should be system32. Right click the icon> send to> desktop(create shortcut) and you will have a shortcut you can place on start menu.

On the other matter, the manage attachment uses a file transfer from your computer to TSG for display on the message reply. This places a link to the image or if it is small enough, the image itself. There are limits to the size and this is why you may not be able to insert your file.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online