1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where hast thou gone, oh, msiexec.exe???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Serge_N_Gin, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin Thread Starter

Somebody out there has to help me with what must be the biggest most confusing problem I've had to date!

It started with this error I received while trying to uninstall some software....

error 0x80040707 followed by "access is denied"

Well I tried several recommendations found on the internet but to no avail...

Then, while trying the uninstall in 'safe mode', I received a new error message...

error 1719...."The Windows Installer service could not be accessed"

So, I went to a Microsoft website and looked up the error, and have so far discovered that I should have this msiexec.exe thingy which needs some TLC, and that loving this thingy a bit would rectify my probs.

Well, I did the search on my harddrive for this poor wee thing and couldn't find hide nor hair of it!

Then I poked about some more and found reference to it at the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer

What to do? What to do? I am a beginnovicer when it comes to computer stuff and am in deep as deep can be....!!!

I've been trying my guts out, to get to the bottom of this dillema and clearly am quite desperate...

I feel I'm nearly there, but can't do anymore myself without help...!

I have Windows XP,
    part denture with 1 tooth attached,
    all 20 digits still functioning,
    frazzled brain from this conundrum.

2. rude

rude

Is this what you tried?

Start/Run Type regedit

Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/MSIServer

On the right pane,look for ImagePath. Make sure the value for it looks like this:X:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /V

The X at the beginning of the above value actually stands for the drive where Windows is installed,so if windows is installed on your C: drive then you will see this:C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /V

Once you have done this you will have to register msiexec.exe
    Start/Run Type regedit

In the OPEN box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK.
    Now restart your computer and you should be good to go.

3. Serge_N_Gin

Thank you Rude, for responding to my plea....

Yes I have tried your advice, which I also found on a website, but to no avail..

The website advised to do a search on your harddrive for the msiexec.exe file, then go to the registry and verify that the file path name was the same.

Then it advised to re-register as you also did....

The problem is when I do a search on my hard drive for msiexec.exe, it can't be found...( i show hidden folders for this search).????

Msiexec.exe is bundled into XP and I wonder if it has gone into cyberspace and how do you get it back????

The address path in the registry is as you have suggested, but should it also be found on my hard drive as well....???

Below is the info I have so far accumulated....:

The text in red is what I have so far tried in vain....

"Error 1719. The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to add or remove a program
    Applies To
    This article was previously published under Q315346
    Important This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
    SYMPTOMS
    When you try to add or remove a program, you may receive the following error message:
    Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. You may be running in safe mode or Windows Installer may not be correctly installed.
    CAUSE
    This behavior may occur if the following conditions are true:

* The Windows Installer files that are on your hard disk are damaged or are missing.
    -and-
    * You install or remove a program that uses the Windows Installer Microsoft Software Installation (MSI) package file (.msi). For example, this may occur when you try to install Microsoft Office on your computer.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, use the following methods.
    Method 1: Re-Register the Windows Installer
    To re-register the Windows Installer, verify the location of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk and in the Windows Registry, and then re-register the Windows Installer. To do so:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

1. Verify the location of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk. To do so:
    1. Click Start, and then click Search.
    2. Click All files and folders.
    3. In the File name box, type msiexec.exe, and then click Search.
    4. In the search results, make a note of the location of the Msiexec.exe
    file.

The location of the Msiexec.exe file should be similar to the following example, where Drive is the drive where Windows is installed, and %Windir% is the folder where Windows is installed:

Drive:\%Windir%\System32
    An example of this is C:\Windows\System32.

Note In Microsoft Windows 98-based computers, the Msiexec.exe file is located in the Drive:\%Windir%\System folder.
    5. On the File menu, click Close.
    2. Verify the location of the Msiexec.exe file in the Windows Registry. To do so:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer
    4. In the right pane, double-click ImagePath.
    5. In the Edit String dialog box, make sure that the string in the Value data box contains the correct path of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk that you determined earlier in step 1.

For example, if the Msiexec.exe file is located in the Drive:\Windows\System32 folder on your hard disk, the correct path of the Msiexec.exe file in the Value data box is the following path, where Drive is the drive where Windows is installed:

Drive:\Windows\System32\Msiexec.exe /V
    Note If you are using Windows 98, the correct path of the Msiexec.exe file is Drive:\Windows\System\Msiexec.exe /V.

If the Value data box does not contain the correct path, make the appropriate changes to correct the path, and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.
    3. Start your computer in safe mode, and then register the Msiexec.exe file. To do so:
    1. Shut down, and then restart your computer.
    2. Press F8 after you receive the following message:
    Please select the operating system to start
    3. On the Windows Advanced Option menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
    4. If you use a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the appropriate operating system from the list that is displayed, and then press ENTER.
    5. Log on to the computer.
    6. Click Start, and then click Run.
    7. In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK:

msiexec /regserver
    4. Shut down, and then restart your computer in standard mode.

If the issue persists and you still receive the error message that is described earlier in the "Symptoms" section, follow the steps in Method 2.
    Method 2: Reinstall the Windows Installer
    To reinstall the Windows Installer, rename the damaged Windows Installer files, and then reinstall the Windows Installer. To do so:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER, where Drive is the drive where Windows is installed and where %Windir% is the folder where Windows is installed:

attrib -r -s -h drive:\%Windir%\system32\dllcache
    For example, type

attrib -r -s -h c:\windows\\system32\dllcache

Note If you are using Windows 98, type system instead of system32.
    4. At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after each line:

ren msi.dll msi.old
    ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old
    ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old
    5. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
    6. Restart your computer.
    7. Update the Windows Installer files on your hard disk to the latest version. Windows Installer 2.0 is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Important: Windows Installer 2.0 is included with Windows. You do not have to perform this step if you use Windows XP.
    * For Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Windows 98:

8. Shut down your computer, and then restart it in standard mode.

4. rude

rude

Click start/run Type: cmd
    In the Command window type:
    SFC /scannow Note the space between SFC and /scannow

You can copy/paste: SFC /scannow

Hit the Enter button
    keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom

5. Serge_N_Gin

Hi Rude...Once again, thank you for being helpful but I hit a brick wall with the advice you offered.

I went to Start/Run...typed cmd and hit enter....then in the cmd prompt window I typed SFC /scannow, then was prompted to insert the XP cd, which I did.

Then I was chasing my tail around and around in circles as 1st the "Welcome to Windows XP, What would you like to do?" window appeared, followed by two windows from Windows File Protection.

The 1st message read:

"Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions"

The 2nd read:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Proffesional Service Pack 1 CD now"

I seemed to just go back and forth clicking yes/no/cancel/OK...and got nowhere.

Well, guess what...I just realized that I have Windows XP Home Edition so maybe that will change things....Eh, Rude???

Waiting patiently for your reply..

Marty

:rolleyes:

6. ohheck

ohheck

marty - check yur pm....

7. mhadi

mhadi

come on Ohheck if you got solution post it on forum

I am using win xp professional SP2 and havin exactly same problem
    and had done exactly the same process as marty
    I had done till SFC /scannow
    It scans the computer restarts it
    but giving the same error

please hlp me mhadi

8. mhadi

mhadi

*bump*

9. rude

rude

Msiexec.exe should be here,note the address bar,at least that is where it is on my computer.I should also ask if,by any chance,you have the Windows Installer service disabled in Services.
    Start/Run Type: services.msc

Make sure Windows Installer service is set to Automatic and started

Attached Files:

10. mhadi

mhadi

Yes the windows installer service is up and running
    I have also tried following

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to install Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
    This can occur if you are running Windows in safe
    mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly
    installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

This issue may occur when in the following conditions are true:
    You are using Windows XP in Normal mode.
    The Windows Installer Service that is included with Windows XP is unregistered or damaged.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    Log on to your computer as an administrator.
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
    At the command prompt, typemsiexec.exe /unregister, and then press ENTER.
    Type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.
    Verify that the SYSTEM account has full control access permissions to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive in the Windows registry. In some cases, you may also have to add Administrator accounts. To do so:WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    Click the following registry hive:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
    If SYSTEM is not listed in the Group or user names list, click Add, make sure that the local computer name appears in the From this location box, type system in the Enter the object names to select box, click Check Names, and then click OK.
    Click SYSTEM in the Group or user names list, and then select the Full Control check box under Allow in the Permissions for SYSTEM box.
    Click Apply, click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.
    Restart the computer. If the problem is not resolved, repair Windows XP.

After it says you have to repair XP I repaired it also but still :(
    I am having errors

11. mhadi

mhadi

*bump* sorry

12. rude

rude

Possible corrupt installation:
    Go here and download The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    Run the tool and have it remove....and then try to re-install it.

By the way,you should really start your own thread for your problem as you could get lost in the shuffle here.

13. mhadi

mhadi

Thanks for the reply
    I actually want to complete this thread for this problem since I can't find the solution any where and I found it here in the first search at google. So I want it as a reference for others.
    Today I got so frustrated with the problem that I cloned all computers having this problem and install service pack 2 and other software such that the program which was having the installer problem was kept running!! :D

But this is not the solution I think we will leave the discussion here and invite other people to continue it(or may be i will continue it If I may had this problem again!!)

I encourage people to continue this thread in case of same error and see if last solution posted by rude works or not so that we can end up with this kind of sentence "Thanks this solved the problem" :D

Thanks for contributing every body especially rude who was very polite ;)
    I think you don't mind if I add you in my buddy list
    Thanks for every body For every thing
    mhadi

14. rude

rude

The reason I'm telling you to start your own thread is that you may not get people willing to drill down through 2 or 3 or? pages of someone elses thread to find and respond to your problem.

You should start your own thread by stating your specific problem and outlining the steps you have taken to resolve the problem.Unfortunately when some people see some of the more "distuinguished" members answering a post the rest of us will ignore the thread thinking that it will be taken care of satisfactorily.

15. mhadi

mhadi

This got some reason OK I got that point I will try do as you stated in future
    Thanks for all you have done!
    mhadi

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!