Where have all the resources gone??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

americamba

I use win 98. My system information says my 128 of memory is 100% utilized. I constantly get "low resources" messages from some packages I use. I have not gotten more programs. I have cleaned up with Norton. I have run adaware and spybot but something must still be around. Oh yeah, one dll that delete fails on. How do I get rid of it and any other ideas as to where the tapeworm is hiding. thanks, Frank

Your 128MB memory is not connected to the low resourses error. You could have a million MB RAM and you'd still get that message. Go into MSCONFIG and see what's running at start up. You will probably find many items that are not required.
http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That's one of the most common problems that computer users have - having too many unnecessary programs running in the background. Other than

ScanRegistry

SystemTray

Antivirus programs entries

Firewall program entries

very few other programs, if any, need to run in the background.

A bloated startup list will contribute to performance loss, a reduction in system resources, and an increased risk of freezes and error messages.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If that computer is capable of supporting more than 128 MB of RAM, you should add more. That amount of RAM just doesn't do it anymore because too many programs are too memory hungry - such as Norton.

----------------------------------------------------------------

americamba

flavalee, you gave this great response a year ago for win 98. I now use win xp pro. Are there any changes in the absolute minimum files for start up? i am having the same problem. thanks, Frank

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have Windows XP SP2 Home Edition in all 3 of my computers. The only startup entries that I have enabled are for:

The antivirus program

The third-party firewall program

Ctfmon(required for Microsoft Office)

This site will assist you greatly in keeping the startup list trimmed down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
americamba said:
I now use win xp pro. i am having the same problem.
You are getting "resource" errors?

If you are on XP, this is not possible.

You should open a new thread in the XP forum AND when you do include the exact error message that you are getting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online