1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where is my disc space???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Meninblack1, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meninblack1

Meninblack1 Thread Starter

About six months age we lost our winsoc. In doing so we lost the ability to connect to the internet. After many a frustrating attempts to restore and reinstall all failed. A friend suggested a full system restore. In other words a destructive restore. I thought it was backing up all my data(as it said). It didn't. I lost all of our photos, music, videos and movies, all important papers and file. But now I'm connected to the internet again. The biggest problem is the fact that we lost all these things and as a added bonus no disc space. It's almost zero percent. Is this some sign of my missing files still there? I've doon all the basic stuff, to clear up space, not even noticeable. Help a brother out. (smile)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+, x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1246 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 71790 MB, Free - 1156 MB; D: Total - 4517 MB, Free - 2372 MB;
    Motherboard: First International Computer, Inc., K8MC51G
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. BigTobster

BigTobster

I'm not sure I can help you with the files but this is a great place to start.

http://lifehacker.com/5915921/the-best-disk-space-analyzer-for-windows

Your files are almost certainly recoverable. There are some guys on here who know loads about it but stuff like this is a great place to start.

http://lifehacker.com/393084/how-to-recover-deleted-files-with-free-software

That is if it is even deleted.

As a quick, simple explanation point:

When you delete a file, you simply notify the OS that it can use that logical space for use in the future. You might immediately overwrite it or you might never go near it again! This can be exploited to recover "deleted" files (and also how people get caught downloading things they shouldn't be!). There are also some other tricks to get stuff back but that is the main method in a nutshell. It's just a matter of recovering the areas marked as deleted/making the OS think that the area is no longer fit for overwriting. There tend to be some corruption problems in this method as you can get partial overwrites and things. Either way, you can probably get something back.

If no one here can help you (and I would say that is VERY unlikely in this case), you can send the drive off to be mechanically played and get your files recovered that way. It has to be done in a totally sterile environment so it costs loads of £ (or $ in your case).

Finally, it might be worth a look exploring the drive with hidden files and folders enabled. You never know, you might find that it saved something after all :). Do the disk checking thing first though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice