1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

where is my downloaded file?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mset, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mset

mset Thread Starter

Hi everyone - hope this is posted in the right area

I am trying to download a file from this page -

http://www.futuresmag.com/industry/downloads/downloads.html

when I click on the blue text of my choice, a box pops up asking me whether I want to open it from its present location or save it to disk. If I choose open it, a box comes up showing the download in process - at the end, I get a WinZip box, which says that this is an 'evaluation copy' and asks me what I want to do - agree to the evaluation conditions, quit, or get ordering info. I click agree, and I get a Winzip Wizard. I start trying to click my way through this process - I get screens like - 'Would you like to Unzip or Install from optr_por[1].zip' (I say yes) and then "Click now to unzip to selected folder, C:/unzipped/optf_por[1]. I say yes - a box comes up which says the files have been successfully unzipped to this location, and then a Windows Folder called TEMP pops up with an file inside it - the file is a Winzip icon, and seems to be the file I have just downloaded - it is called "optf por"....

Seems good so far. Then I click on it, hoping to see the document I have attempted to download. But I get a small box that says 'WinZip self extractor' at the top, and which says 'To Unzip all files in optf_por.exe to the specified folder, press the unzip button'. The specified folder is C:/WINNT/TEMP. I press Unzip and... a tiny box comes up which shows the process - numbers scroll up to 23 and then another tiny box comes up which says '23 files unzipped'... and then I click OK on that, and then...

?? Nothing? The Self Extractor box remains, but no document opens. OK, I say, maybe I have to go to this folder, C:/WINNT/TEMP - maybe the document is there... so I go there by copying that text into the 'run' box which is available at the start menu.

Doing this takes me to a folder called 'TEMP. In this folder, there are hundreds and hundreds of icons - something tells me that these icons are partly the result of other unsuccessful downloads I have attempted in the past - (This is no the first time this particular thing has happened to me). Anyway, in this folder I find a file called 'OPTF POR' It doesn't have the Winzip icon, it has the Windows icon. I think 'Aha, there it is, my document!' So I click on it and...

I get a box which asks me 'What program would you like to use to open this document?'

Hmmm... ok, let's try Word. Nope, when I use Word, I get a document that has a lot of weird symbols and characters - some formatting problem. I try Notepad, same thing. The I think, maybe Winzip? I try that but I get taken back to the start of the process I have just completed!!

If I go back to the original webpage and try to 'Save this document to disk' instead of 'Open this item', I get the usual box which asks me where I would like to save it - I choose a location and it is saved as a Winzip icon in the folder I choose. I click on it to open it and I am again taken to the start of the WInzip process, and the same thing happens.

This has happened to me several times in the past and I have just given up on the download, but this must be easy to resolve - can anyone help me? How do I get access to this document?

I have used this site a few times before and I am a donor - thanks in advance for any help. Nikku

2. Low Mein

Low Mein

mset
    It can be confusing trying to keep track of where downloaded programs unzip to especially using winzip. I think your first step should be to clean out the default folder winnt temp. I don't believe there is anything needed there but just to be on the safe side don't delete anything from the recycle bin until you're sure you can reboot and run programs without error messages. Next instead of letting the program run itself without installing on your hard drive create a new floder on the C drive tree or whatever your hard drive letter is and save it to that folder (save to disk, browse, choose that folder C:temp that you created.) That way if it unzips to the winnt folder it should be the only program in there, plus you have the original download on your computer so you won't have to keep downloading each time . As to what program to use to open the file that depends on what kind of program it is. Good luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/83508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice