Where is my new partition?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brattygirl

I reformatted my hard drive and decided to create a partition. When prompted, I formatted the largest partition. When I came back to check the progress, my system was finished partitioning and was attempting to install Windows XP. Since that's impossible without the security key, it froze and had to be rebooted, at which time I entered the security key and it continued with the installation.

It's complete and everything is reinstalled, but where's my partition? I'm missing 100 gigs and don't know how to find it.:confused:

Triple6

Rob
Sounds like you only created one partition and Windows XP installed onto that one. That means you should have some unallocated space on the drive which you need to create another partition and format it. To do that you need to use Disk Management: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Do you have SP2 installed? If not, the entire hard drive may not get recognized.

Triple6

Rob
Yeah, you do need at least SP1 installed to support drives over 127GB. You can get the service packs and the updates from the Windows Update site. How big of a drive does Disk Management see?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online