Where is my recorder?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mwredt

I have a Lite-On DVD-RW drive and another DVD drive in my computer. I am using Nero-Burning Rom to combine some of the songs from 3 CD's onto one. After I have picked the ones I want Nero has me burn an image to my hard drive using what it calls the image recorder. The help file with Nero says that the Choose Recorder box should show the image recorder and also my DVD recorder that is in my computer but it only shows the image recorder so I can't burn my image to CD. Why does it not show my Lite-on DVD? When I check Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager it shows both DVD drives in my system.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Are you sure there is not a drop down arrow that you click on, to show the extra drives? I had the same problem with Nero...until I clicked on the little black arrow next to the space that shows drives installed on the computer. Did that help at all?

There may also be a Scan for Drives button, I recall seeing that at some point on Nero 6 OEM Suite.

If you mean when you open Nero, you see a white window with just "Image Recorder" up, click on Image Recorder, then on OK, then choose which type of disc to burn, etc. Mine opens the same way sometimes, it depends on what the last thing you did was and since I have an external USB burner, it does not show (the Image Recorder is a virtual device)... But, when connected, the external drive shows up. I have the older version, 5, not 6, open right now...but I do have a computer with OEM Suite v. 6 around to check. After you click on Image Recorder, then OK, then either close the file wizard box, and close the program, reopen and it should open the correct way so you see list of discs it can burn.... After you close the first window, in the main Nero window, at the top, hit Choose Recorder, do you see the DVD burner there?
If it still isn't showing may be time to open the box and check cables, jumpers again.

mwredt

The drop down arrow is grayed out. clicking on it does'nt do anything. No scan for drive button. (I am using Nero 5).
When I have the Choose Recorder window open and choose Image Recorder (because it is the only one there) down below in medium types for Image Recorder it shows for medium types: CD-R/RW, DDCD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW. When I click on Okay
then try to burn to the CD it will only let me burn the image to my hard drive. Closing the program and reopening does nothing to fix the problem.

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
Not sure if this will help, but it's a try...

You said the option to check for additional drives is grayed out. Is it possible that this is so because Digital Rights Management is enabled, and prevents that option for burning [recognizing the drive]?

mwredt

I'm not sure how Digital Rights Management works. Would it be enabled on the disk or the drive. In either case, it must not be enabled because I can copy the disk using My Sonic DVD and the same Lite-On drive.

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
mwredt said:
I'm not sure how Digital Rights Management works. Would it be enabled on the disk or the drive. In either case, it must not be enabled because I can copy the disk using My Sonic DVD and the same Lite-On drive.
It's probable, that if content from any one, or more, of the three sources that you're trying to copy to a third medium [disc], from the second medium [hard drive], ... is copyrighted, AND, you did not have DRM disabled before the first content transfer to the hard drive, that you cannot make a second copy .

DRM is typically ENabled by default.

I've heard, and found through experience, that some copyrighted content, has encrypted within it, an allowance for ONE copy, such as from the [purchased] disc, to your own HD.

How the 'count' is done, I've no idea. I have seen in two different applications, that copyrighted material:
1) Disabled the Windows 'password protect' option on a folder (it
grayed out the password protect option
), and... with an ISP app,

2) Prevented a second transfer of the content [to a disc] by burning.

I've also read about #2 in PCWORLD mag...

I'm guessin' that this is why your option to do another transfer is disabled...

Try re-recording the content from the three sources, and checking that the DRM option, like the one in Windows Media Player, is disabled...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online