1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where is system restore

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BearMom, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

When I restarted the computer a while ago, a message came up that said an "IN" file was missing from WIN.INI. It wasn't missing yesterday! Where do I go to start the computer from an earlier date?

2. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

The wierdest thing--I got an email that said "mad-martin" had responded to my question but there doesn't seem to be a mad-martin even registered here.

3. mobo

mobo

What operating system are you referring to ?

4. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

win 98--I did a really stupid thing this a.m. I opened up an attachment from ":microsoft re a patch and it was a worm. The virus utility had been disabled and it got through. I think this missing file is a result of the virus scan getting rid of the worm.
    However--I need to get that file operating again. Thanks!!!

5. mobo

mobo

Reboot and immediately start tapping the f8 key . Next you should see a black screen with white lettering. From the list choose command prompt. At the command prompt type scanreg /restore (note the space before the /).Then choose the date before the virus date and enter then reboot the system ...

6. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

Good grief I just scared myself. The restore dates went back to before we had cable internet. So I have no date options except today.

Here are the boxes popping up:
    "Cannot find MSINFO.EXE from WIN.INI"
    "Cannot find 'IN' file from WIN.INI"

7. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    This is too late to help you BearMom, but for the benefit of others see Wet Chicken's post "New IE Virus Alert!". Microsoft never send patches by email... if you get one it is not genuine. Dump it without opening the attachment!

8. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

I knew better :-(( The attachment had a really funky-looking assortment of letters but it does look so authentic.

What can I do to repair the WIN.INI files? Win 98 came on our computer and there is no disk.

9. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

10. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

I have printed out Wet Chicken's instructions for changing the registry key (value?) that the worm seems to have done.

They look very intimidating. Is there a chance of disabling the wrong thing? (My computer is running so slowly right now that the cursor is moving across the page before the letters appear on the screen.)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice