1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where is the icon showing that it´s safe to remove machine ware?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sikus, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sikus

sikus Thread Starter

When you plug in for example a digitalcamera or usb-memory stick in the computer, there should be an icon showing when it is safe to remove the camera or the memory stick. But I lost my icon! Anybody who knows how to get it back?

2. Augie65

Augie65

Try Start> Run> type: RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll then hit OK.
    This should bring up the dialog window to remove the hardware.
    You can try this, I have used it in XP, but it has been quite a long time since I used Me.
    Open My Computer and right-click on your drive choose Properties> Hardware tab> Properties button> Policies tab, click Optimize for Performance, click OK and Apply. Then reboot your computer and see the Safely Remove Hardware icon is in System Tray.

3. sikus

sikus Thread Starter

Thanks! The first advice worked for me, but I would like not to have to write all that in "Run" every time. The second advice didn't work since I could not click "Optimize...". That alternative was grey-marked (although the alternative you suggest was already pre-choosed). Any other ideas?

4. Augie65

Augie65

The only thing I can think of is to create a shortcut to bring up the dialog window.
    Right click on your desktop and select New> Shortcut. When the Wizard
    opens, paste the path: RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll in the box Type the location of the item:. Click on Next and type the name Safely Remove Hardware in the box, Type a name for this shortcut and click Finish.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So you are sure it somehow didn't get marked Hidden in the Tray.

6. 1101doc

1101doc

Try this: Control Panel>Taskbar and Start Menu. Under Taskbar tab check only "Lock the Taskbar," "Keep Taskbar on top..," and "Show the clock." <Apply> Log off/Log on. Not a reboot. Often works. Sometimes also helps to disable the UnPnP Service. (Universal Plug and Play-not regular Plug and Play) If no joy try: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm Fixes all this kind of stuff.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice