1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where is Windows10 Update Exe

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Kolias, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Yesterday windows10 was installed in my win8.1 laptop thru the MS updates. All went fine and is working well but I dislike very much the start menu and so I installed the Classic Shell alternative.

However I can't find the executable for the new MS updates which I like to make a shortcut in my new menu

Any idea where the new updates program is located?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

One possible way to figure that out is to start Task Manager, then navigate from the Settings panel to Windows Update and see what is running in Task Manager. Not sure if that will work.

3. HarrierUSA

HarrierUSA

Removed...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Good thinking but there are so many entries in Taskmgr and no way to know which is related to updates.

However I found a registry hack to revert to the old style windows update
    HK_local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX
    By changing the 1 to 0 it should do the trick; problem though although I’m the administrator in my laptop the system does not allow me to do this change.

Any idea what I have to do to be able to do this change?

Windows update was in the control panel up to windows 8.1. In windows10 there is no update in the control panel

5. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Windows update is no longer part of the control panel and is apart of the settings application. No more "windowsupdate.exe"
    In time the entire control panel will vanish from Win10.

The attached picture is the closest I got, but I don't use classic shell.

Attached Files:

6. terryxp

terryxp

Search "windows update" its still there same as always

7. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

CoolBurn give a try to Classi Shell, its like win8.1 / 7 and much better and works with win10.

Terryxp, searching for windows updates only takes me to the Internet. As fas as I know there is nothing more in my laptop. MS failed again, the updates they have is the pits, no way to select what you want to download, neither to stop a download.

8. terryxp

terryxp

On my Win10 Pro laptop, the search bar next to the start button, typed windows update, lists local and internet results. The top result is the exe for winupdate, at least for me...

9. terryxp

terryxp

10. storage_man

storage_man

In windows 10, there is no reason to check for updates. WHY because it updates automatically whether you want them or NOT. There is no setting to stop this as you could in Win 8 , 7, xp etc.

11. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

terryxp I did the same and with the Internet disconnected I get “Didn’t find anything”. But looking in the Services, the MS Update executable is listed as svchost.exe which is located in the System32 folder and clicking on it does nothing.

What is the executable you found in your search?

storage_man I understand but what MS did is wrong! How about if I dont want an update or if I want to stop a download? There is no control so MS is forcing us again to do what they want and this is bad business

12. storage_man

storage_man

I think I know why they did it. Since Win 8, alot of people moved to using windows defender instead of using a third party virus system. I know I did. Now I'm in the same school as you, I want to control my updates because of past problems. When my machine was running 8.1, I manually checked and installed updates. But only have Win 8.1 for 6 months, I became annoyed with the daily windows defender definition updates. Every day they send one out. Its a pain. I would like to have the ability to allow defender updates, but allow me to select any other updates.

There is a way to turn it off windows updates permanently. But it requires a re-boot to turn off and turn on. Do a google search for "DoNotSpy10". its a little free program that will turn off lots of stuff in windows 10.

13. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

storage_man I had the same issue with the defender but I noticed most of the time the download number was the same so after a while I didn’t bother and used to download the defender about once per month.

I have finally got rid of the windows10 update following the info from the links below.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/take-full-permissions-control-edit-protected-registry-keys/
    Will allow you to be able to edit protected registry entries

http://www.askvg.com/fixing-windows-10-automatic-updates-install-problem/

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-...-managed-or-disabled-by-system-administrator/

Look in post #4 for the registry link, now I can edit this entry and it worked plus I did the rest and now the problem I have I can’t find how to get going the old windows update. I have nothing related in my control panel neither I can find an executable.

My main problem is that I only have 20GB download space from my ISP and since I downloaded the windows10 three times (by mistake) I don’t have any GB left to download anything big. I have set my updates to metered connection as per the above links and hopefully it will be ok

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice