1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where O where is my initial OS?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by joseph501325, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joseph501325

joseph501325 Thread Starter

Hello, its good to be here. I put BootIt BM on the computer I'm working on:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2804 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0), 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 137828 MB, Free - 126916 MB; D: Total - 84053 MB, Free - 78853 MB; G: Total - 39 MB, Free - 15 MB; H: Total - 99 MB, Free - 63 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0T656F
    Antivirus: None

Once installed, BootIt BM listed three OS's on the Boot Menu: Vista, Win 7 Ultimate and XP.

Initially I was elated because I thought BootIt BM had found the OS that for days I've been

looking for, albeit under a different name: Vista. However, when I click on Vista on the Boot Menu

all I get is "Disk error Press any key to restart".

A week or so ago, wanting to place s second OS on this machine and not knowing that I should have

installed the oldest OS first, I partitioned my hard drive and installed XP. Win 7 Professional was

the initial OS When I booted up I could not access Win 7 Professional. XP booted fine. There was

no multi/Dual boot.

When I partitioned my hard drive there was unallocated space left over. After I could no longer access

my Win 7 Pro, I formatted that space and installed Win 7 Ultimate on it. The dual boot of XP and Win 7

Ultimate works so far so good. This system is listed as being on a logical partition on an extended

partition if I'm not mistaken:

Partition 1 Primary 39MB 31 KB
    Partition 2 Primary 1OOMB 40 MB
    Partition 3 Primary 82GB 140 MB
    Partition 0 Extended 134GB 163 GB
    Partition 4 Logical 134GB 163 GB

Volume 0 G Repair disk UDF DVD-ROM 142MB Healthy
    Volume 1 E FAT Partition 39MB Healthy
    Volume 2 C System Reserved NTFS Partition 100MB Healthy
    F:\New Folder (2)\
    Volume 3 F NTFS Partition 82 GB Healthy
    Volume 4 D NTFS Partition 134 GB Healthy

In the 'Direct Boot' option on the Boot Menu of BootIt BM l get these options:

[1] Auto Auto MBR 0 HDD Partition-0 39MB FAT-16

[2] Auto Auto System Reserved HDD Partition-1 100MB HPFS/NTFS

[3] Auto Auto MBR 2 HDD Partition-2 84054MB HPFS/NTFS

[4] Auto Auto HDD Volume 137829MB HPFS/NTFS

The numbers above in brackets are mine. When I click on the first one I get a blank black

screen. When I click on boot for number two I get Windows Boot Manager saying 'The boot

selection failed because a required device is inaccessible'.

When I click on number three to boot it I get my Dual boot menu offering Win 7 Ultimate (which

is what I installed last) along with XP. However neither of these OS's will boot from this (Direct boot)

menu. Same thing for number four in 'Direct Boot'; when direct boot is attempted the response is Boot

Manager is missing.

In the first Boot Menu from the BootIt BM screen, of the three OS's, Vista, Win 7 Ultimate and XP,

l am able to boot. viz. Win 7 Ultimate and XP. Vista won't boot from this menu.

It was a surprise for me to even see Vista listed. Originally this computer came with Vista. Then it was

changed to Windows 7 Professional. Win 7 Pro is what I am trying to retrieve on this machine.

Thank you for your time. With this info mentioned above, can anyone tell if Win 7 Pro is still on this

machine? And if it is does anyone know how I can get it boot?

Once again I thank you for your time.

Joseph

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a late 2008 model Dell OptiPlex 360 desktop.

I'm not familiar with the BootIt Bare Metal partition manager app, so I can't address any issues with it.

There are plenty of experts here, so be patient until one replies.

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. joseph501325

joseph501325 Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice