1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where oh where did my SYSEDIT go??

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Jazzmyn, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jazzmyn

Jazzmyn Thread Starter

Good evening.

I can't figure out how to get to my win.ini file to edit it because when I click RUN and then type in SYSEDIT, I get a message saying that Windows cannot find it...

Hmph.

Can someone tell me how else I can get to this file to edit it (I have the worm_datom.a and the worm troj_hai.a, and am trying to do the edit to remove autostart entries from system files, etc.)

Many thanks in advance.

2. Rick1953

Rick1953

Hey jazz,
    Try going to start then run and type in msconfig.

3. Jazzmyn

Jazzmyn Thread Starter

Thank you, Rick. I will try that.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You can also edit ini files just by going to start and "running" them. They will open in Notepad.

sysedit.exe would normally reside in c:\windows\system

You can try restoring it using the System File Checker. Start>Run>sfc (if you have Win98)

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
    2. Check "Extract one File"
    3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
    4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
    5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

If you have WinME, use msconfig > extract one file.

5. Jazzmyn

Jazzmyn Thread Starter

Thank you so much, both of you. I used the msconfig option and it worked, then I came back to say thank you and found another terrific piece of advice, which I'll save for future reference.

Many thanks!!
    Jazz

:D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/91360