1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where Oh where has my Monitor/Modem/Drivers gone???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShawnWatt, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShawnWatt

ShawnWatt Thread Starter

It would be easier to explain what actually works on my system but here it goes.
    When having high speed internet installed on my system the tech decided that my computer would be the one that he destroyed that day. He thought it would be nice to erase several programs in windows 98 se and didn't bother to let little old me know what he did or how to rectify the situation. after the attempted installation upon start up I received more error messages than than SPAM in my e-mail. The system informed me that several windows files were corrupt and I could not even use my office 2000 programs??? Well I was a little miffed but trekked on and tried to reinstall my windows however, he erased my driver for the a: drive and I had no way of reinstalling. Now I'm not real smart but I knew I was in trouble when I YES I, erased windows from the C:drive. I knew that I, as well as, my computer needed some professional help. A friend of mine finally managed to get windows installed and I know you'll be as delighted as I was to find out that I could use my office products once again.
    Now it seems that my drivers for my monitor are gone, the computer won't recognize my 10/100 eithernet card and my voodoo 2 3D driver is gone as well as my sound card driver.
    To compound joy upon joy I no longer have my windows 98se CD's they decided to join that one sock that escaped from the drier in some time space continuum where intelligently challenged people like myself have no access. I still cannot go online so I have to use my e-mail at work to attempt to sort this out.
    If there is some brave Palladian or anyone else for that matter that would like to challenge themselves with the daunting quest of unraveling this unholy mess you can e-mail me and I would be happy give you my phone # and go in to even more detail.

Right now I'm one crashed and burned Guy!!!!

2. columbo

columbo

Well......

I guess you're not having the best of luck, huh? ;)

How (if I may ask) do you acquire this system? I'm assuming that it came fully loaded, and that your sound, video, and ethernet card came loaded with the system. If this is the case, then I'll also assume that you were not given the software CD's or floppies that contain the drivers for your hardware.
    You'll probably have to go to the websites of the manufacturer's of your equipment, and enter your hardware model numbers into a driver search. If you can tell us the exact models of your cards, then we can probably point you in the right direction.
    As for the Win98 CD, try asking around if anybody has a copy that you could borrow. Failing that, you could start kissing the butts of your IT guys at work. They might take pity on you and let you "borrow" a copy. :D

3. ShawnWatt

ShawnWatt Thread Starter

Thanks, for the reply.
    You are correct in saying the system was purchased with all the equipment inplace and right again regarding me not having any CD's. I have tried asking around for the windows cd's and no luck.
    And unfortunately I have kissed many behinds but to no avail. My IT department hates me. Not their fault they are very over worked and not too tolerable to the tech challenged subspecies that I belong in. I will however get all the info I can on my hardware and try going online at work to find my drivers. Or maybe I could contact you again for further guidance.
    Thanks again. It's good to know that this site is here and that it has people like you for resources.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59380