1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where R Outlook Express Newsgroup Stored?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MatrixX, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MatrixX

MatrixX Thread Starter

I did a bad thing. :( I subscribed to all the newsgroups and outlook express froze when trying to load all of them. So now when I try to load the program it freezes in an attempt to load all the newsgroups. I need to delete the newsgroups so they don't load, but I don't know where they are stored. Help!

2. Rockn

Rockn

YOu should be able to deselect them offline.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

good news
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\Microsoft\Outlook Express is where they are stored

bad news
    each newsgroup is a file such as 3bconfig.dbx referencing the 3bconfig newsgroup

good news
    a .dbx file is only created if you actually double clicked that newsgroup to catch up on the messages

so: the problem isn't really with the subscribed newsgroups unless you 'opened' a lot of them

you say it freezes
    is this when you a) go to news and try to open it, or b) right at start up?

if it's a) - go to file in the main menu bar and select 'work offline', you should be able to click on news and unsubscribe (as rockn suggested) - or even go to tools, acocunts, and delete the news account, then recreate it later

if it's b) - i have no idea, could probably find the newsgroup account in the registry somewhere and delete it - someplace like here - do a registry search for news:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\00000009

always do a registry back up before changing anything

4. MatrixX

MatrixX Thread Starter

It's definately B
    However I have Win2000 so I cannot find any folder when I search titled "identies"
    Could you tell me where you found the info so I could search for Win200
    Thank You

5. MatrixX

MatrixX Thread Starter

Also, I tried searching for *.dbx (forget what the extension is now, maybe I got it right) I get no results.
    Outlook freezes when it tries to display the newsgroups in the window, so it doesn't even complete the list. It's pretty bad.

6. MatrixX

MatrixX Thread Starter

Problem Solved. Scrolled over to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Identities and deleted the whole directory which reset my Outlook Express settings. Now I have to set up my e-mail and news but I'm happy.

7. MatrixX

MatrixX Thread Starter

Speaking of which, anybody know the maximum amount of newsgroups you are allowed to have before it crashes? :)

8. jbcalg

jbcalg

less than all of them ? lol

glad it worked out - i run W98 aned wasn't aware you were using W2000 (which i know nothing about, ...well almost nothing) - next time id the OS and a few other basics and it'll help narrow it down a bit

9. MatrixX

MatrixX Thread Starter

I'll remember that for next time :rolleyes:
    Thanks for your help :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice