1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where the heck is Compaq's support forum?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by EricMelech, Sep 7, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. EricMelech

EricMelech Thread Starter

For the past ten years I've been combing through thousands of links in www.compaq.com and I can't find the forum. I need to find it because I asked a question there some time ago and I can't remember how the heck I got there in the first place!

For the curious, I'm extremely dissatisfied with my Compaq computer. For no reason it crashes when I play several games. I wanted a high-grade comp for Doom 3. This is a warning for those who want to play that game: do not, I repeat *DO NOT* get the Compaq Presario SR1044BB! I have done absolutely nothing to the computer, it is brand spanking new, I can still smell the freshly-molded plastic from the factory; THERE IS NO REASON WHATSOEVER FOR IT TO NOT BE ABLE TO RUN NEW GAMES!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yes, I did do driver updates and brought Windows up to Service Pack 2. Why wouldn't a brand-new PC have SP2 installed already??

2. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
  3. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    ^That's what I do, works for me. Just google that username. And about SP2. People are still experiencing conflicts with SP2, so to be on the safe side, if the user wants SP2, they can download it on there own. Me...I'm sticking to SP1 until they fix 98% of the bugs or at least 95%.

4. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    O yes, BTW..welcome to TSG.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Here is the reason you can't play high end games.

Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 with up to 64MB shared video memory (1 AGP slot available.

You need to make use of that AGP slot. Save yourself from running in circles and get a video card. :(

6. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    yea...on board video is a no-no.

7. EricMelech

Thanks everyone; I'll try searching this time. I was just so angry about a brand-new computer not working.. thanks for the explanation. That's $1,500 down the drain. Well, I didn't buy it, so it's not really my problem. Never again shall I trust a computer illiterate family member to buy me computers! When they "shopped around" for my computer, all they did was take the one who people were saying was the most "latest and greatest" of them all. Next time I'm just gonna by a bunch of parts from pricewatch.com and build my own... if I can ever figure out how to put the damn parts together :) The last time I disassembled and reassembled a PC, when I flipped the switch it didn't turn on, but started smelling like burning rubber. Anyone know of some good tutorials I can take a peek at?

8. clskrk

clskrk

I used to have a Compaq, and the experience was not a pleasent one.
    When it was under warranty, I had a lot of trouble getting anywhere with their tech support division. When I could understand them, I would get the runaround and usually passed to two or three people before I got any resolution to the problem, and most of the time the resolution was to reformat my HD.
    When my monitor went bad, I almost had to send them a valued body part to get a replacement. I think they were linked to me on the internet, about 30 seconds after my warrenty was up, I couldn't find anybody to talk to me for less than $60.00.
    Before too long, I just started making sure everything was backed up, and just did a re-format on my own about once a month.

9. EricMelech

You can bet I'll never get a Presario again! Hell, I don't think I'll ever trust a brand-name PC as I've had bad luck with Gateways and Dells too. Bah, stupid proprietary garbage, impossible to change without infringing on copyrights, no support if you don't obey their every command.. bring back the days of the hobbyist!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice