1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where to get thin client computers?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by virtualgeorg, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg Thread Starter

Could anyone tell me where I can find used thin client workstations?
    Someone setting up our network said that we need at least pentium 2, 32 ram, 8 meg video and bootable nic card.

I can find a lot of 200mhz pcs with only 2 meg ram that are real cheap but not the above.

I need to buy 30 of them.

Thanks,
    -George

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

About 6 months ago I could have gotten you a crap load of Pentium II 400's with 128mb of ram. Our local university was getting rid of them for $50. Right now they have 17 Pentium III 550mhz for $125.

3. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg Thread Starter

Yes instead of buying a smaller thin client pc & can find a better deal on used PII systems. I thought one advantage of thin client was to eliminate components making them less expensive? But not on used ones, I find better deals on complete PC's, guess there are more of them out there.

What could I use for a bootable network card? I am finding mostly network cards that have a socket available for optional boot rom but not one with rom already installed. Do y0o usually buy the card & the boot rom separately? I see some that mention an "intel boot agent", is that a bootable network card?
    I want to eliminate using the floppy to boot so what kind of nic card should I get?

Thanks

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yes, the Intel Boot Agent is Network bootable. Most network cards made today are Network bootable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice