Where to start with a social network design?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tony oh

OK this is probably way out of my league but:

how hard would it be to set up a site with the functionality of facebook or a social networking site.

I have pretty limited experience but I would just like to be pointed in the right direction and then I'll work through it.

Could I use somethig like drupal or joomla to start off and add in plugins or do I have to start with php.

Any hints would be great.

First of all plan it out on paper because if it doesnt work on paper it wont work on the computer, then pick which programming language you want to use and start coding. If you need any help, I will happily help you :D

leroys1000

Banned
Joomla would be a good start,but,depending on if your setting up
on your own computer or using a web hosting service,you may
need to install PHP and mysql first.
Then setup a database name,user and password.
Enter this information in joomla setup and it will setup the default database.
You would need to check with the web host to see if they allow joomla.

tony oh

I think I'll be using bluehost so they seem to have great features...and pretty reasonable pricing (cheap...lol).

I have been looking around and community builder with joomla seems good and it has loads of plugins along with other joomla plugins.

Has anyone tried this yet....I'm not setting out to put myspace out of business as it will probably be a small site...but you never know:)

Thanks for the offer of help guys but I'm just finished the w3c section on php so I think it would be quite a while before I would get started from base.

Anyone tried community builder as I wouldn't mind seeing a website that uses it.

Thanks.

MMJ

OK this is probably way out of my league but:

how hard would it be to set up a site with the functionality of facebook or a social networking site.

I have pretty limited experience but I would just like to be pointed in the right direction and then I'll work through it.

Could I use somethig like drupal or joomla to start off and add in plugins or do I have to start with php.

Any hints would be great.
Lots and lots of work goes into creating a Scoial netowrking app, I suggest you Google and see if you find a ready made app.

leroys1000

Banned
I am using virtuemart on joomla for my site,but a web store
is just a small part of it's functionality.

tony oh

Nice site:)

Kind of basic experience...and mostly with dreamweaver.
Usual php with repeating regions etc

I have joomla 1.5 with community builder but alot (most) of the plugins that I would want to use only work with joomla 1.0.....Should have checked before I started...ummm.

I hope you have a lot of time, money, and patience on hand my friend. Otherwise, you'll be very disappointed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online