1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

where to start?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vox, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vox

vox Thread Starter

*slish slosh* - the sound of me cutting my wrists....
    I just bought a new 'used' pc, win98 installed. I'm having no end of problems. First the mouse wouldn't work in the usb port so i got an adaptor and in works in the p2. But it freezes constantly and the puter gives me all kinds of error msgs, no matter what i try to do. It won't shut down either, not even with a cold stop, i have to reset it. I can get online, but it'll crash b4 i get anywhere, so i can't get to any virus scanners or spybot etc. The error msgs i get are kernel32.dll caused a fault, user.exe caused a fault, mprexe caused a fault or performed an illegal action, explorer performed an illegal action, etc. etc. Sometimes it just shuts itself off for no apparent reason. I might be asking for too much at this point, but does anyone have any brilliant ideas of what the problem(s) might be?

Thanks a bunch...

xox vox

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I'd say the best place to start would be with a win98 reinstall. But, if you must, first start the machine in safemode and scan for virus's and spyware from there, also disable all excess startup programs. Uninstall anything you don't want. Then search for updated drivers for the motherboard and cards.

You also might want to preform a good scandisk.

3. *ne0n*

*ne0n*

Type msconfig in your run prompt, and disable EVERYTHING under the startup menu EXCEPT systray. This will get rid of all those annoying messages. However, if you want to start ALL over and have the Windows discs (or some form of Windows on disc), then just go into DOS, reformat, and start all over. But I know msconfig will definitely get rid of those errors.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice