Where's all the PCI-E cards?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mulderator

Looking to the future, I got a board with several PCI-E slots and of course, less PCI slots. I'm looking to possibly add a sound card and none of them are PCI-E. Do PCI cards work in PCI-E slots? (assuming the slot is large enough--8 or 16)?

Also, does it matter which PCI-E-16 slot I use for my graphics card? I have a watercooling system and the GPU cooling block is blocking one of my PCI slots but if I move the card to the other slot, it won't block a PCI slot. One slot is blue, the other is black--I have an ASUS P5WD2 Premium board.

Rukee

Banned
no, a PCI card will not work in a PCI-e slot, they are diffrent. You want a PCI sound card, or a USB would work too I suppose if you didn`t have a PCI slot open.
I thought I`ve herd of PCI-e sound cards, but I can`t seem to find any right now. :(
It shouldn`t matter which slot your video card is in, as long as it works.

Mulderator

Hey, I just noticed something. My board which is brand new has been re-designed! :mad: Take a look at the newer P5WD2-E compared to my board the P5WD2:

Attachments

Mulderator

Notice how they moved the PCI slot now to eliminate the blocking of the PCI by a watercooling GPU block!

Mulderator

Rukee said:
It shouldn`t matter which slot your video card is in, as long as it works.
Well, that would be nice because if I moved it to the other slot (the black one on the diagram), it wouldn't be blocking any slots at all because its to the rear of the card and thus wouldn't block the PCI-E x1 slot you see there.

Rukee

Banned
yea, but how are you going to run two VCs in SLI and have a PCI card or two between the two VCs?? The space is already too small to allow good airflow to the 1 card to begin with when running two in SLI, now they wanna add a couple of other cards in there too??
Only 1 PCI slot outside the SLI slots too....

Mulderator

Rukee said:
yea, but how are you going to run two VCs in SLI and have a PCI card or two between the two VCs?? The space is already too small to allow good airflow to the 1 card to begin with when running two in SLI, now they wanna add a couple of other cards in there too??
Only 1 PCI slot outside the SLI slots too....
I'm not going to run two video cards--just one. My machine is for video editing not gaming.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Creative is having a very hard time with PCI-Express sound cards. Lots of latency issues, they are in the works but nowhere near ready yet.

You can get network cards and RAID cards though.

Mulderator

Triple6 said:
Creative is having a very hard time with PCI-Express sound cards. Lots of latency issues, they are in the works but nowhere near ready yet.

You can get network cards and RAID cards though.
Well, I've got room--I have one PCI slot filled, one blocked and one open out of three, but I'd rather have the newer card obviously.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online