1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where's info

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by munrow, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. munrow

munrow Thread Starter

Hi, everyone.
    Thanks in advance for bearing with my ignorance.
    I have recently acquired an Acer Aspire model# 1872, AMD K6-2 processor 333MHz, onboard graphics and sound (3D Rage II, and, Crystal something or another, respectively), 94MB ram, 4.3GB Western Digital HDD. Received this machine from a friend for helping to set-up a newer computer. This person had deleted too many Windows 98 files to be able to boot and had no installation/recovery media.
    I brought the machine home, changed HDD to 30GB Seagate, Ram to 192 (128+64), installed "slipstream Windows XP-SP2"(eldergeek.com) made from the Windows SP1 cd that came with my Dell Dimension 2350(upgraded to 384MB Ram, 80GB Maxtor + 60GB Seagate, additional 52x CD-RW).

Finally, my question. Where can I find the Motherboard model#/serial# and, the computer serial#, to be able to go to Acer/AMD to find out what I need to get to make this frustratingly slow machine work right.

2. cheese

cheese

Can you actually get on the computer/internet?

3. munrow

munrow Thread Starter

Yes, installed ethernet card (Comp-USA brand, $15.00), updated, surf fine. Using D-Link DI-604 w/BellSucks DSL.

4. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

5. munrow

munrow Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm going to try some of the ID utilities to see what I can find out.
    Munrow

6. cheese

cheese

Search Google for "Everest" ittl give all the info you need.

Its the 2nd link.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would have thought that Windows XP would have all the drivers needed for this laptop. The reason thats it's slow because it is; this is nowhere near the ideal computer to run Windows XP and with SP2 at that. The CPU is slow, theres not enough memory, its a slow hard drive, and the graphics doesn't have enough memory or power for XP's fancy GUI.

This would be the ideal computer to run Windows 98 or ME on.

8. munrow

munrow Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.
    I've found out that the mobo is a model V58xA (sound right?), chipset is ALi M1531 rev 179, super i/o chip is SMC 93xAPM rev 3. Hope to find out more after fumbling around some more.
    I've disabled all not-vital services, including themes, so as to conserve resources.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice