Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Where's info

887 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  munrow 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone.
Thanks in advance for bearing with my ignorance.
I have recently acquired an Acer Aspire model# 1872, AMD K6-2 processor 333MHz, onboard graphics and sound (3D Rage II, and, Crystal something or another, respectively), 94MB ram, 4.3GB Western Digital HDD. Received this machine from a friend for helping to set-up a newer computer. This person had deleted too many Windows 98 files to be able to boot and had no installation/recovery media.
I brought the machine home, changed HDD to 30GB Seagate, Ram to 192 (128+64), installed "slipstream Windows XP-SP2"(eldergeek.com) made from the Windows SP1 cd that came with my Dell Dimension 2350(upgraded to 384MB Ram, 80GB Maxtor + 60GB Seagate, additional 52x CD-RW).

Finally, my question. Where can I find the Motherboard model#/serial# and, the computer serial#, to be able to go to Acer/AMD to find out what I need to get to make this frustratingly slow machine work right.

#6 ·
Search Google for "Everest" ittl give all the info you need.

Its the 2nd link.

#7 ·
I would have thought that Windows XP would have all the drivers needed for this laptop. The reason thats it's slow because it is; this is nowhere near the ideal computer to run Windows XP and with SP2 at that. The CPU is slow, theres not enough memory, its a slow hard drive, and the graphics doesn't have enough memory or power for XP's fancy GUI.

This would be the ideal computer to run Windows 98 or ME on.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input.
I've found out that the mobo is a model V58xA (sound right?), chipset is ALi M1531 rev 179, super i/o chip is SMC 93xAPM rev 3. Hope to find out more after fumbling around some more.
I've disabled all not-vital services, including themes, so as to conserve resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.