1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where's Linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by FF103, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FF103

FF103 Thread Starter

I recently went to do a kernel upgrade on one of my linux machines,and the kernel was in /usr/src/Linux ,just where it was supposed to be. but on 3 other machines the only thing that is in /usr/src is RPM ,so when I type the command ,cd /usr/src/linux, there is no such place . I'm using Mandrake 9.1 on all of these machines. Why is the kernal in /usr/src on only one of them, and where did it put it on the other 3? I've found some 2.4.21 kernal files in the /lib and mod directories but these don't seem to be the right ones.Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it.

2. lynch

lynch

You probably havent installed the kernel sources from the CDs.
    lynch

3. FF103

FF103 Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply Mr Lynch , On the one machine that did have the correct directory, when I went to console and typed "cp~/.config and then "make menuconfig" I got a interface where I was able to remove things from the kernel that I didn't want. If I didn't install the source code on the other machines from my CD's,where do I find it ? I searched using the mandrake control center rpm installer but found nothing in the way of kernal source. And is there an explanation why it would install on one machine and not the other 3? I used the same CD's to install on all 4 machines.Thank you for your time ,I really appreciate it.

4. lynch

lynch

You have to install them yourself unless you specify during the package selection stage of installation.It is kind of strange it installed on the one without you intending to do so.:)
    I just checked RPMDrake in the MCC and found 3 versions of the kernel sources:
    In RPMDrake I chose "List all Packages Alphbetically".and scrolled down to kernel.
    lynch

5. FF103

FF103 Thread Starter

Thank You Lynch for your reply and the advice, You were absolutely correct. I found the kernel source that you told me about(I only found one) and installed it on one of the machines,I haven't tried to configure it yet,but i did bring my laptop to work and will install the kernel source on it today and try to configure it . I'm trying to get an infrared port to work on the laptop and I understand that there is something in the kernel that I need to change, any advice or pointers from you will be appreciated. Thank you again for your help, Its people like you on this forum that keep newbies like me plugging away at Linux. Thanks again.

6. lynch

lynch

I havent felt the need to compile the kernel in awhile but there is a IrDA (infrared) support menu in xconfig or menuconfig or whatever you use.From looking around the web a bit,I think you need to do 4 things:
    1. enable irDA(infrared) support
    2. choose an irDA port (irTTY or irPORT)
    3. choose the appropriate irDA port driver
    4. get irDAtools
      [/list=1]
      This site might be helpful.
      Good luck
      HTH
      lynch

7. FF103

FF103 Thread Starter

Thank you lynch, I'm going to try some or all of those things, maybe I'll figure it out,I understand from reading some posts and the how to's on some of the sites I've visited that infrared on linux can be quite tricky,and if I don't get it to work theres always a printer cable. Thanks for your help,I'm sure I'll need it again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice