1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where's my desktop icons???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wide, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wide

Wide Thread Starter

Upon booting my computer yesterday, everything seemed to start normally... however, none of my desktop loaded. No Icons. No taskbar. Nothing.

I can access the Task bar by doing a CNTRL+ALT+DEL and then doing the FILE NEW TASK RUN. All of my files are programs are still intact and seem to run normally, however, my desktop is simply my wallpaper and nothing else.

My internet connection still works as I am on this computer writing this now.

I tried doing a Restore to Last Good Configuration however that did nothing and in fact, now my graphics setting are like down to 32 colors. Everything is grainy and all photos look like negatives.

When I do the F8 and start in safe mode, everything looks back to normal as far as the graphics, but still no icons or task bar or Start button....

HELP! PLEASE!

1. What happened?
    2. How do I fix it?
    3. If I have to reformat, how do I burn my files off the harddrive with no icons to run my CD/DVD burners with?

By the way, I'm using Windows XP.

2. natcom

natcom

I will be happy to help you with this problem ok let start with going to safe mode and login as administrator and then click on start run control panel user accounts and create a new account and login with this new account that you createded now if you able to see a desktop and task bard with this new account that mean your old account is corrupted and you will have to transfer all your data from the old account to the new one

3. natcom

natcom

if that is not the case then do this

You can try downloading these files in Safemode and running them in Normal mode by opening the folder where u saved these files from Task Manager>New Task

Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/nodesktop.reg

Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs

source >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If this fails, then try this, when u will boot in Normal mode, bring task manager by hitting Ctrl+Alt+del and click New Task
    write msconfig and hit enter, now from the Startup section, click on Disable All and then in Services section, click on Hide Microsoft Services, and then disable all those third party services, now close msconfig, and from task manager>Shutdown menu, choose Restart, and check if same problem is happening still ??

4. natcom

natcom

then try this
    Head at www.symantec.com
    click at security response
    scroll down till you see the picture Check my computer for security risks - click there
    It should open a window with two options
    click the virus scan
    Answer yes at the windows that will pop up
    Leave symantec scan your pc remotely. You should then know where the viruses causing your problem
    are. Print this list
    Restart in safe mode
    Delete any of these files.....
    Reboot in normal mode

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!