1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

where's the kernel???

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by number, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. number

number Thread Starter

Hi,

Im trying to understand where to find the kernel source in my suse linux 9.1
    I've to compile the kernel in order to use my adsl modem, I understood that the source code is under /usr/src , but here I've found only packages, and under packages there are: build, rpms, sources, specs, srpms ... but they are all empy besides RPMS!!! what is this?
    And under RPMS there are: athlon, i386, i486, i586, i686 (what are those??) , noarcj
    So, I can't find this kernel source!!!
    can anybody help me?
    thanks!

2. number

number Thread Starter

is this so hard? I didn't think it was, well, thanks anyway...

3. lynch

lynch

Try installing the kernel sources through YaST2. If you're not sure what version you have type uname -r at a command prompt.
    In YaST2, in the Install and Remove Software utility, type kernel-source in the search field and choose the one that matches your uname -r results. Make sure while your there that you have gcc installed as well.
    HTH
    lynch

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

The answers to all your questions are easily found via google. Read a bunch of the resources available, then ask us about the things you're still hazy about.

-Scott

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Once your sources are installed, they should be located in /usr/src/linux. From there you can type in make [menuconfig|oldconfig|xconfig] to get your own custom kernel going.

6. number

number Thread Starter

After doing the search of kernel with YaST2, I've found several voices regarding the kernel, one of which is kernel-default. I didn't find any kernel-source
    But still, I can't open that file, I have several options in the bottom of the box: description, technical data, dependencies, version.
    I cant open anything.
    Where is the kernel??

7. number

number Thread Starter

Also, I need to compile my kernel because I can't access the internet otherwise. But the ironic thing is that all the guides on the web are telling me to download the kernel if I don't have one. But how can I download it if I can't access the internet?
    I don't even know how to import it from a usb pen for example, considering that I don't know how to configure linux to make it read a usb pen....
    -------
    the only thing which looks like a linux code, is located in /usr/bin which is full of uncomprehensible files
    and other things are in /usr/i586-suse-linux
    which includes the following folders: bin, include, lib

Ok, am I in the right path? It's full of files, which ones do I have to open in order to configure the kernel?

8. number

number Thread Starter

another doubt, considering that the directory /usr/src/linux/ (where I am supposed to find the kernel source code) does not exist, do I have to create it and unpack the kernel source from the CD of SuSe?
    The point is that even in the installation CD I cant find the source.....

9. dago

dago

What Suse do you have? 9.1 what? Personal or Professional?

10. number

number Thread Starter

it's Suse 9.1 personal

11. dago

dago

Well, I don't have that so I cannot tell you if Suse Personal has kernel-source or not.

Anyways, what is your kernel version? Post what you see with command

12. lynch

lynch

The version does'nt matter. Do a search of "kernel" . I did and it showed kernel-source.
    lynch

13. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Or, should you not be able to find it, after seeing the output of 'uname', go to kernel.org, download the bz2 archive containing that package. Copy it to your pen drive.

Insert pen drive in linux box. Dmesg should (but not always) give something like ' usb connect at adress 1-1'

do the following command as root. 'mkdir /mnt/pendrive && mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/pendrive'

That should mount your pen drive to /mnt/pendrive.

Navigate over to it.

Copy the linux sources tarball to /usr/src. Extract it using the command 'tar xvfj /usr/src/linux-kernel-2.4.blah.blah blah.

THis will create a versioned directory called linux-2.blah blah.

next, ln -s /usr/src/linux-blah /usr/src/linux. Then, change directory into linux, and run make [menuconfig|oldconfig|xconfig]

14. short101

short101

Obviously you can get on the net, otherwise you wouldnt be able to post. :) So if you are dual booting or using another machine, just download the kernel source file (which should be something like "kernel-source-2.4.25.tar.gz", or whatever your kernel is) Then once you have downloaded it just burn it to cd, Or if you have dual boot, put it on your partition that both can read (ie, I have a fat32 partition that I can access all my music, movies, files, with windows and linux) Then all you have to do (either way) is copy it to your /usr/src directory and then uncompress it. If you run kde or gnome as desktops you can even do it without having to use the terminal if thats too much for you. Then once you have uncompressed it, (not sure about suse) you have to set a symbolic link. This is easy, from the terminal just type
    "ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-xx.xx.x /linux"
    This adds "linux" in your /usr/src directory. If you open a file browser, and go to /usr/src you will see a new folder called "linux"
    Then once you have done that you cd to the linux directory
    "cd /usr/src/linux"
    then its a matter of setting your kernel options with either make menuconfig, make xconfig, or whatever you want to use to configure your kernel. Make sure you read the options for each option or you will end up doing it a lot of times. Then compile it. If you dont know how to download your kernel source though, then you are probably going to run into problems. For example you need to install a few apps to get the thing configured in the first place. First start with your install cd and install make, gcc, bin86, libc6-dev,tk8.3 and if you are using 2.6 kernel then you also have to install qt libraries for make xconfig. (this is whats needed for debian but I wouldnt be surprised if its needed for suse to, to configure kernels) Anyway I think you should do a bit of reading before you tackle this one. It shouldnt be to hard to find your kernel source on the internet. All you have to do is type "suse kernel-source.xxxxx" If you cant find it then, maybe linux is a bit beyond you. Not trying to be nasty, but it really isnt very hard. Try slowing down a bit. I know your probably keen as mustard to get your box working with linux :) ( I was exactly the same trying to get my winmodem working with linux, cause, whats the point if you cant get on the net with it?), but if you google, almost always there will be an answer out there. Try reading the suse documentation on there website about downloading stuff and about basic compiling or google "suse kernel compile" and you will come up with a wealth of info. Its just a matter of reading and eventually it will all gel.

15. dago

dago

number,
    indeed the kernel-source may be different than kernel version, but give the one you have and I'll send you the link to download the precise one for you...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice