1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Where's the restore?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by midlandman, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. midlandman

midlandman Thread Starter

I recently formatted and went back to Win98.But I noticed there is no System restore to a previous point tool.Isn't there a restore in 98?I thought there was.And if there is,how come it's not in Start>Programs>Accessories>System tools?Where would it be?Thanks...Rick

2. Del

Del

Only Windows ME and Windows XP has System Restore.
    You have scanreg restore from dos in Win 98 that can resolve some issues..

3. Deke40

Deke40

Start\Shutdown\Restart in MS-DOS Mode\Yes\At the prompt type Scanreg\Restore\Pick from one of the .cabs showing\Restart Computer

4. midlandman

Thanks Del,I'll give that a try!

5. midlandman

Thanks Deke!

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Just a bit of clarification.........
    The command from C:>Prompt is Scanreg /Restore note the space between the g and forward slash.

Dave

7. Deke40

Deke40

Thanks Dave-I had that written down on a old piece of note paper and couldn't see it very clearly. Have been using Cabrest for awhile.

8. Deke40

Deke40

Davey-Got to wondering about how I use to restore. Tried the restore without the space and it worked the same. The forward slash was necessary.

9. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

For just plain old general info....you usually type a switch with a space then the / say, format C: /s Again, usually,you would get a bad command or a parameters wrong message back if typing not exactly what DOS wants....anybody got the latest word on how or why the restore works without the space?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice