1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

which antivirus is best

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mtneer, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mtneer

Mtneer Thread Starter

I just recently purchased a Toshiba laptop with Vista operating system. I was wondering what antivirus/spyware program is the best but is most affordable. McAfee came as a default on the laptop, but wanted an opinion as i am trying to be cost effective yet be adequately protected. I am rather computer illiterate so an antivirus program that requires little to no maintenance would be ideal. I've read that "The Shield Deluxe" had great reviews and was priced in the $29.99 per year range.

Thanks for any input.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I use AVG and love it
    There is also Avast or NOD32

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You'll have to completely remove the McAfee suite that was preinstalled to install any other antivirus, antimalware programs.

Then, you have a lot of options...staying with totally free programs is one. Let me know if you would prefer that, but it does mean there would be 3 or 4 separate programs, and downloads, to do.

If you would rather get an all in one security suite> these can range in price. Right now, CA has their Internet Security Suite free after rebate comes along with a 2 gigabyte flash USB drive.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3163925&CatId=1994

Most of the security companies offer free trial versions, some for their Professional versions....

I have not used the program you posted about.

Info here: You'll be able to get a good idea of the frontrunners from these sites.

http://www.firewallguide.com/suites.htm

http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have enjoyed AVG Free for several years.

5. cfhpantera

cfhpantera

My vote will always be for NOD32 if someone is serious about antivirus.

6. Goku

Goku

7. EDYTHE

EDYTHE

Hello Byteman:
    i recently purchased CA Suite 07 directly from the manufacturer when my year was running-out with C.A. -while i love the program , after seeing your above post i visited Tiger and i'm not happy to discover an existing 'free rebate' offered by the manufacturer (CA) VIA Tiger !! ......i didn't know about that distributor !!! and manufacturer made no mention about a 'rebate' !! :mad: any suggestions? thanks so much

8. bkdc

bkdc

Avast

I have used both AVG & Avast; they are both very good but I prefer Avast because I have more control over configuration settings.

9. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, The rebate has some restrictions...a freeware type of suite will not qualify you, nor will a free trial version of any competitive company suite.... I hadn't gotten all the details when I posted that.

But, for anyone who has purchased the competitor's suites, they can get the offered rebate and the USB flash drive...ends up free to you after rebates.

These rebate deals are something you have to try to find when you want to purchase something-
    part of rebate may be offered just by TigerDirect, and only part by the software company, that is what
    you see fairly often.

And, it's true, the makers don't have info about rebates on their site, much of the time, but some do.

it can take some good searching around, but there are several sites that specialize in posting active rebates, and almost every good online store like TigerDirect, has a whole Rebates category, where you can read all the present rebates they have, before you start shopping. Some of the rebates you see on their main, special sales, weekly specials, etc pages when you go to the site.

Don't know what you could do-- if the software has a return policy, maybe it's still able to be refunded?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice