1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Antivirus?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tarq, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

Hey,

When I bought my PC it has Norton AntiVirus preinstalled although the virus definitions had expired already! I wasn't going to pay to update them so I never have. When I upgraded to XP I assumed it had gone because its not in my system tray and original attempts to start the program failed yet it has poped up a few times for me to quarantine a file so it must still be there, that said something my IT teacher said today made me consider getting a new one, here rhe spec I'm looking for:

* One I can buy in shops (UK)
    * Reasonally priced
    * Don't have to pay to update it
    * Doesn't sit in my system tray and bug me or slow down my computer by loading at startup, I don't wanna see it. All I have in my tray is MSN Messenger and when I'm connected to the Internet a whale which I can use to disconnect.

Anyone know any good ones,
    I was thinking McAfee but that has problems with my ISP I think! PS I already have a firewall, I turned on XP's even though I doubt I'll ever need it same as the virus scanner...

Thanks,
    Tarq

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

I'll second AVG.

4. BillC

BillC

Golly, why get one at all? If you don't want it to load at boot and only when you want to use it, do an online scan free at TrendMicro's Housecall?

Thus:
    * One I can buy in shops (UK)..No need to buy anywhere
    * Reasonally priced...Free
    * Don't have to pay to update it....Automatic
    * Doesn't sit in my system tray and bug me or slow down my computer by loading at startup, I don't wanna see it. All I have in my tray is MSN Messenger and when I'm connected to the Internet a whale which I can use to disconnect....Not in your computer thus no slow downs & not in tray.

BTW, I believe in a good antivirus and firewall program on my machine. Good luck ;)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it does load at startup then its not effective. Once you have been infected you can do an online scan but it may be too late by then to scan or fix the computer. Prevention is a better solution.

AVG seems to be the best free one around - just make sure to change the automatic update to something more frequent then the default of 14(?) days - like 1.

6. BillC

BillC

Triple6 makes my point...
    If you want any hope of protecting your computer, you must have both a good antivirus and firewall program on your computer. ;)

7. karbo

karbo Banned

Always had a great service with McAfee VirusScan Online.

8. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

I also use AVG (free edition), have for at least 2 years, not one problem, and some of the people I email with have had a virus same time emailing me, AVG took care of it, nice simple program, don`t have to be a brain surgeon to use it.

Regards
    Mike Peters

9. raybro

raybro

As with most progs, everyone has their favorites. This is usually based in individual experience. I've been using various versions of Norton AV for over 10 years on two different computers and have never had a virus infection on either system. Call me foolish to pay for it if you like, but it works for me. :D :cool:

10. mobo

mobo

Tarq : In any event, which ever you choose, it will only be as good as long as you keep it updated and surf while being conscious of security risks.

11. karbo

karbo Banned

No matter what antivirus you use, they don't necessarely have the same virus bank. Each one is good in it's own way. As Motherboard wrote, it's important to keep updating your antivirus for new possible threats.

I like McAfee VirusScan Online because it automaticaly updates to the latest threats as soon as they appear. You don't have to manually check once in a while to see if you are up to date.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!