1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Which Authenication settings for home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gyro, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyro

gyro Thread Starter

I have modified my XP Pro authenication settings on my home network with different results....could someone tell me what settings are the most effective (least problematic, least conflicts) on a home network using a router.

There is the choice of enabling authenication, smart card vs. certificate, validate server certificate, and "connect only if server name ends with".......which of these boxes do I want checked off for the least conflicts/problems??

Another question I had was about :authenicate as computer when computer information is available" and "authenicate as guest when computer is unavailable".....do I want both boxes checked or only one? I find that if I only have guest checked, then one of the computers is not seen on the network.

Final question: after I make changes to the authenication settings do I always need to restart for the changes to take effect? XP doesn't ask you after you close the windows after making changes.

From reading on the internet, it seems that the smart card is a physical entity which I don't have so I guess I would choose certificate. When I disable all authenication, there are problems seeing the computers on the network...I'm not sure why...so I guess I need authenication....but how about the validate server certificate and connect only if server name ends with, do I need these checked?

Thanks in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice